Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th December 2019, 19:57

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Looking for document with statistics of combat claims in Coastal Command during WW2

Hi,

Fighter Command´s combat claims are listed in Combats and casualties, Vol I to lll (AIR 16/960-962) and Statistics of Combats and Casualties in ADGB., Fighter Command and 2 TAF; Vol 4 (AIR 24/653).

Bomber Command´s combat claims (air to air) are listed in Monthly Supplementary Narrative of Operations (AIR 14/3433 and AIR50/294 but several months are missing at the NA).

Is there any document with statistics of combats claims in Coastal Command during WW2? I searched the files in AIR 15 but could not find any matching title but these can be misleading (I would never have guessed that Bomber Command´s Monthly Supplementary Narrative of Operations had this information based on the title).

Regards,
Peter
Old 15th December 2019, 01:04
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for document with statistics of combat claims in Coastal Command during WW2

I made a note of all combats in the Coastal Command Intelligence Summary but later in the war, a number were not listed
Old 15th December 2019, 04:10
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for document with statistics of combat claims in Coastal Command during WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
I made a note of all combats in the Coastal Command Intelligence Summary but later in the war, a number were not listed
Chris,

Andrew Bird, in his, Coastal Dawn - Blenheims in Action from the Phoney War Through the Battle of Britain/London/Grub Street/2012/pp.212-213, has the following:

APPENDIX I - Confirmed Claims by Coastal Command Blenheim Fighter Squadrons in 1940 (Courtesy Chris Goss)

The claims (10 April 1940-31 October 1940), are listed by, Date, Time, Aircraft, Sqn, Claim and Location.

Could you identify the documentation you consulted to compile the above listing? I mean the NA File/reference number/s. Are they simply Combat Reports, or something else?

Col.
Old 15th December 2019, 08:35
Alter Hase

Col
These were a series of books held by the AHB which I copied by hand 15 years ago
Old 15th December 2019, 12:24

Thanks for your replies.

Chris: Are the Coastal Command Intelligence Summary the same as Weekly intelligence summaries now found at the NA (AIR AIR 15/255-258)?

Based on the Bomber Command´s Monthly Supplementary Narrative of Operations I see two main advantages if a corresponding document can be found for Coastal Command:
  • Monthly Supplementary Narrative of Operations only includes claims officially accepted at Command level (many claims made in combat reports were rejected or downgraded).
  • Combat reports are missing and combats were not always included in the ORBs but basic information can still be found in Monthly Supplementary Narrative of Operations.
Old 15th December 2019, 12:38
Alter Hase

Couldn't say for sure as I had the actual documents 15 years ago at the AHB not what might be at the NA
Old 15th December 2019, 13:10
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Chris,

Thanks for that.

Col.
Old 15th December 2019, 21:02

andy bird is an unknown quantity at this point

Col

Been helping Sholto Douglas's daughter piece her fathers Bio together using his diaries and papers. There was a book compiled with all claims for all units but original was lost in the fire in 1960's at Northwood.

Have claims for 235 and 248 [as they're Sqdn registrar] from July 1944 to May 1945 and claims by 143 Sqdn from Oct 44 to May 1945.

In storage are:

Papers for Dallachy Wing inc. Orange reports covering Oct 44 to May 1945. Inc. air combats

There was a tally's board for 235, 248, 143, 333 and 144 and 404 at Banff which had all the tally's from when they were formed which was drawn up by Sqn Ldr George Bellows (Intel Off) who was head of the College of Arms London pre-war. These panels resided at RAF Marham in 1986 along with the silver ware of 235 and 248 Sqn. [have letter confirming that they were there] There was also the 2nd Photo Album of 235 covering late 1943 to July 1945. The album is with Ken Delve. The scoreboards were meant to arrive at the 1995 235/248 Reunion in Stafford - However, the wooden crates that housed them were found to be empty.

Appreciate none of this really helps your quest for Coastal Command statistics of combat claims.

Best regards

Andy Bird

#ConstantEndeavour
Old 16th December 2019, 20:22

Andy,

When it comes to the Strike wings I know who to contact. Will you follow up A Separate Little War with a book on the Dallachy Wing?

Regards,
Peter
Old 20th December 2019, 20:48

andy bird is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasselgren View Post
Andy,

When it comes to the Strike wings I know who to contact. Will you follow up A Separate Little War with a book on the Dallachy Wing?

Regards,
Peter
Hi Peter

Keep being told Coastal's a niche market. Sales in UK extremely poor were as Australia, Canada and New Zealand there on the rise. Have started completely reworking A Separate Little War as its 17 years old, and will be retitled for 2020.

Currently writing 'Beaufighter' for Amberley Publishing - (appreciate they don't pay well - but have to try and earn an income as I'm newly single) they'll be a piece about North Coates, Langham and Dallachy.

Plus another four maritime related for Amberley.

Frontline Images of War Series - Beaufighters over Norway and Mosquitos over Norway on the cards. Although have too finish 'Berlin 1945 - 1948 - Birth of a Nation' and 'Berlin Women under Bombardment' for Autumn 2020.

Dallachy has to be done, but with advances of 1500 going to see if James Holland or Rob Lynham can recommend a lit agent.

Seasons Greetings

Andy Bird