Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th August 2018, 08:05

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Hurricane IIB flown by Amet-Khan?

Can someone please translate the caption on this profile for me? I'm trying to find out if it is a profile of a Hurricane flown by Amet-Khan or just a generic example.
Thanks
Peter
Old 25th August 2018, 17:18
Alter Hase

Teresa Maria is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane IIB flown by Amet-Khan?

Dear Peter,
This is my approximate translation of the caption:
Hurricane MK II B (unknown serial number), 22 ZAP, airstrip Ivanovo, 1942.
Some Hurricanes which got into the Soviet Union were made of parts allocated in the Near East and carried desert camouflage. In the Soviet Union the desert camouflage was painted over with Soviet green. Similar planes were flown by Amet-Khan and Sergey Dolgushin.

Apparently, it's a generic example, not precisely Amet-Khan's plane.
Old 25th August 2018, 17:29
Alter Hase

By the way, was Amet-Khan his surname and Sultan his first name, or the other way round? I've never been able to figure it out.
Old 26th August 2018, 02:51

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the translation. Not what I was hoping for .....
Everything I have seen indicates Sultan is his first name, Amet-Khan his surname.
Thanks
Peter
Old 26th August 2018, 16:27
Alter Hase

Dear Peter,
Thank you very much for your answer. In fact, it's hard to tell; for example, in the Wikipedia article Amet-Khan seems to be name and Sultan the surname: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amet-khan_Sultan. If, as you say, Sultan was his first name, it's strange because in Russian, like in English, the first name precedes the surname (I've heard that in some languages, like Hungarian and Chinese, the surname comes first).
Maybe a Russian member of the forum will give a definitive answer to this question?
Old 26th August 2018, 16:42
Alter Hase

O.K. Actually the Russian Wikipedia explains it: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90...82%D0%B0%D0%BD His real name was Amet Sultanovich Amet-Khan, Sultanovich being his so-called patronymic name (indicating his father's name), but as he registered for a flying course, he gave his name in accordance with the Tatar tradition, that is, his patronymic name first, and that led to a misunderstanding and his father's name, Sultan, came to be used as the pilot's name too.
It's a pity it didn't occur to me to read the Russian Wikipedia article first... or this information may have been recently added to the article.
Old 29th August 2018, 00:02

kirche is on a distinguished road

Hello,
His real name Ahmet-Khan Sultan. his father Sultan Ahmet-Khan. his grandfather Ahmet-Khan ??? ( father's name of his grandfather I uncnow).
At that time some Caucasian peoples did not have a "Family name" in the Russian sense. "Patronymic" = "Family Name"