Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th January 2013, 11:32

TCO
09/29/44: Strafing German railroad

Dear friends,

I would appreciate, if you could help me identifying potential units (I assume USAAF), which conducted a series of low-level-attacks on German railroad-freight-cars on 09/29/1944 in the early afternoon here:

To give a rough orientation, this area is in the middle between Cologne and Frankfurt, appr. 50 miles south of the Ruhr-valley. Our region is called WESTERWALD, the mid-range mountains within the rivers RHINE (western border) - DILL (eastern border) - SIEG (northern border) and LAHN (southern border) . It is surrounded by cities like Coblence (Southwest) - Remagen (Northwest) - Wissen (North) - Herborn (East) and Limburg (Southeast).

To be more precise: The area, I focus on, was surrounded by three minor Luftwaffe-Airfields:
BREITSCHEID (USAAF-coordinates: G-3131; Geographical: 8°10'16.1'' East; 50°40'43.0'' North)
LIPPE (USAAF-coordinates:G-2424; Geographical: 8° 4'53.4'' East; 50°42'37.7'' North)
AILERTCHEN (Y81: USAAF-coordinates: ?; Geographical: 7°56'53.7'' East; 50°35'43.2'' North)

Thanks for your support!

TCO
Old 31st January 2013, 01:20

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road
Re: 09/29/44: Strafing German railroad

TCO -
The 8th AF Fighter Groups did not fly Missions this Date.
My 9th AF Book shows the 416th BG A-20s Hit Marshalling
Yards at Bitburg - Morning , and Julich - Afternoon.
406th FG attacked Railroads near Landau.
Maybe it was the RAF?
Mike
Old 31st January 2013, 18:31

Hans Nauta

Hi TCO,

I've checked the 2nd TAF Operational Log, but no references to attacks on rolling stock in the G quadrant.

Regards,
Hans
Old 1st February 2013, 16:26

TCO

Mike, Hans

Thx for your help.

I checked out the 406th FG and found two remarks, which deal with rail-interdiction end of Sept '44, however the area is too far south from us.

"The end of September ...was devoted to isolation and interdiction of the area between the Saar and the Moselle. The marshaling yards at Saarburg, Zabern, Merzig, to name only a few the full weight of the Group's attack on many days. A program of constantly policing the rails for movement and limiting that movement by strategic cutting of the principal rail lines was undertaken by the command and successfully executed."

"As September drew to a close, Third Army reached the Moselle and
the Group began to work on the first interdiction campaign of Alsace-Lorraine, running many missions on the marshaling yards at Saarbruken, Zabern, Saarburg and many other key rail centers."

I am pretty sure that it were fighter-bombers of the 9. USAAF.
Any idea regarding other FG, which operated from France or Belgium at that time?

Regards,
TCO
Old 1st February 2013, 18:43

Horst Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCO View Post
Mike, Hans

Thx for your help.

I checked out the 406th FG and found two remarks, which deal with rail-interdiction end of Sept '44, however the area is too far south from us.

"The end of September ...was devoted to isolation and interdiction of the area between the Saar and the Moselle. The marshaling yards at Saarburg, Zabern, Merzig, to name only a few the full weight of the Group's attack on many days. A program of constantly policing the rails for movement and limiting that movement by strategic cutting of the principal rail lines was undertaken by the command and successfully executed."

"As September drew to a close, Third Army reached the Moselle and
the Group began to work on the first interdiction campaign of Alsace-Lorraine, running many missions on the marshaling yards at Saarbruken, Zabern, Saarburg and many other key rail centers."

I am pretty sure that it were fighter-bombers of the 9. USAAF.
Any idea regarding other FG, which operated from France or Belgium at that time?

Regards,
TCO
Good evening !

At this day, 9th AF fighters and fighter-bombers had more then 1500 combat sorties to targets in the Western ETO. My guess would be a FG/FS of IX Tactical Air Command (TAC) (70th, 71st and 84th Fighter Wing).

best wishes !

Horst Weber
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:13

TCO
Unhappy Re: 09/29/44: Strafing German railroad

Wow, 1500 sorties from 11 Fighter Groups on one day!

70 th Fighter Wing: 48th, 367th, 371th, 474th FG
71 th Fighter Wing: 366th, 368th, 370th FG
84 th Fighter Wing: 50th, 365th, 404th, 405th FG

Challenging! - that's like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Cheers!
TCO