Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th July 2020, 22:58

BrianC is on a distinguished road
Ju188 Z6+EX 1./KG66 lost 18/4/44

Hi guys

just curious! The above was shot down by two Typhoons of 266 Squadron over Hampshire. When wreck inspected, seven bodies were found, four crew and three Polish groundcrew.

Does anyone know the story?

Cheers
Brian
Old 12th July 2020, 23:28
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ju188 Z6+EX 1./KG66 lost 18/4/44

Very well known & has been discussed before. Covered in many books-crew deserting or got their compass bearings wrong in a transfer
Old 12th July 2020, 23:30
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
Hi guys

just curious! The above was shot down by two Typhoons of 266 Squadron over Hampshire. When wreck inspected, seven bodies were found, four crew and three Polish groundcrew.

Does anyone know the story?

Cheers
Brian

Yes, but your code is incorrect it seems.

260523 Ju 188 E-1 Z6+EK 2./KG 66 (Luftwaffe)
Non-OPS (H) .. “Left Avord at 03:00 hrs via Rheims for Soesterberg (crew of 4 plus three men)” ...´while positioning to a forward base in preparation for a night attack on London, this aircraft became lost and strayed over the south coast of England, it was shot down at 07:30 hrs near Beauleu, Hants, by two RAF Typhoon´s Mk.Ib of No. 266 Squadron´ .. At 07:45 hrs on 18.04.1944 (four aircrew: three groundcrew - all killed)
[TNA HW 5/478 T.175/86. KV 2975]
[Wakefield “Pfadfinder” (App. 8) P.251]
Old 13th July 2020, 01:13
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Interesting one as the incident forms part of the story of the novel Requiem For A Wren by Neville Shute . In which the former Wren commits suicide because she believes she was responsible for the shooting down of the Junkers killing escaping Allied prisoners Polish ?

There was also a DVD about the air radio war where a former WRAF a fluent German speaker recounts her duty was listening in on Luftwaffe radio traffic . She recalls they picked up a request for help from a Ju 88 and she was told to give bearings to bring it over the |Isle of Wight where it was shot down and all crew killed . Apparently it was thought this was probably a nightfigher with radar gear to examine . No date is given for this but it may relate to this loss . The German crew did behave as though they were over their own territory because as the cloud cover broke they flew a orientation pattern and when engaged by AA fired off recognition flares before the Typhoons engaged .

A few years ago a booklet The Exbury Junker-A World War 2 Mystery was produced including crew photos and profiles .

The NVM shows 5 aircrew and a I.Wart and a Funkwart

FF Uffz Johann Czipin
B Uffz Johann Krause
Bf Uffz Robert Schultes
Bs Uffz Eitel Wysotzki
Bs Ogef Hans Ehrhardt
1.Wart Ogef Leonard Schwingenstein
Funk W. Gef Edgar Vester
Old 13th July 2020, 11:32

Many thanks, guys

It may well be a well-known story - but not to me! Hence the reason I asked!

But why were seven people on board - and how did they all fit into a Ju188?
Were they all escaping?

There must be more to this story?

Cheers
Brian
Old 13th July 2020, 13:52
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Morning transfer flight Avord to Soesterberg ready for night raid on London. Flying above cloud with no visual reference with error in navigation/compass plus possibility of false radio bearing transmitted by RAF. The desertion story may have come from the Neville Shute novel with a Polish connection from one of the crew born in east Prussia now Poland. As regards the extra airman carried on a transfer flight on on 21st Jan a Ju 88 KG 76 down with 5 men, on the 24th Jan a He177 KG 100 lost carrying 8 men , 12th Feb Do 217 KG 2 down carrying 6 men, 29th Feb Maj Furhrop KG 6 carried an extra man and two dogs while Uffz Meyer KG 6 carried two ground crewmen as well as the 5 crew all killed shot down, on 22nd March a He 177 KG 100 went down with 10 men, on 24th March 2 Ju 188s KG 6 went down each carrying 7 men and on on 29/30th March a Do 217 KG 2 went down with 6 men onboard one killed.

They were packing them in on a regular basis
Old 13th July 2020, 18:11

Thanks for detailed response, Brian.

Much appreciated.

Brian
Old 13th July 2020, 19:14
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Ju 188 E-1 Z6+EK 2./KG 66 lost 18.04.1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
Thanks for detailed response, Brian.
Much appreciated.
Brian
Thanking all, including Goss be a most decent thing. His credit is beeing the one giving (and taking in) the most info given here (Mr. Beale included)?

We (I mean just me) can not help you on all trival questions. Please do a small amount of research beforehand. This can save us from beeing too busy with too many (unneeded questrions) to the point of cluttering our very important forums like TOCH. I too was aware of the fiction (novel) connection but as a rule: Do not connect things as fact untill that fact is proven fact, and do not mix what-if, with what happened. Such false (bad or errorous) navigation did happen on much broader scale. Including a USAAF Martin B-26 Marauder "delivered" to Holland, and hence to the Luftwaffe. Else (if not fact directly connected) its just mis-info as many government practice to mislead their citicens, with, by.... The larger the country the larger the mis-info. Pandemic (epidemics) included.

*now I said that, be banned for entering states as a resault*

Finally, Mr. Brian Cull (?) I did edit your topic header, on top of this answer of mine (else them looking for Ju 188 may not find "Ju188" truncated).
Not all seem be aware of this option on editing, on making replys.

Regards - Eggert

Last edited by edNorth; 14th July 2020 at 00:44. Reason: typo
Old 13th July 2020, 20:29

Hi Eggert

I seem to have upset you - not my intention.

As for 'trivial questions' I'm at loss! As far as I am concerned, I was seeking an answer to an incident of which I was unaware - surely the main objective of the Forum. What are therefore the 'important' questions that should only appear?

I thanked Brian Bines in particular since he provided me with the information I required. I'm not sure how that is being disrespectful to either Chris Goss or Nick Beale!

But don't let us fall out over this trivial matter!

Cheers
Brian
Old 13th July 2020, 20:48
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ju 188 E-1 Z6+EK 2./KG 66 lost 18.04.1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
Thanking all, including Goss be a most decent thing … Please do a small amount of research beforehand. This can save us from beeing too busy with too many (unneeded questrions)
Eggert, since you're so busy, best leave the moderating to John and me, wouldn't want to overtire you.