Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 2nd January 2006, 20:25
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Apologies to one and all. Seems like I should have put more water in my whisky! My attempt to brighten up the day seems to have been a miserable failure! Never mind, once bitten , twice shy.

Back to business: WHERE ARE YOU NIKITA? Did you receive my e-mail? WHERE ARE YOU SIX NIFTY? My e-mails to you were returned!

All the best for 2006

Brian
Old 2nd January 2006, 22:01

brewerjerry

Hi
might be of interest

L9809 3 otu beaufort shot down 17-6-41 by 504Sq hurricane nr shute
R8811 266 sq typhoon damaged by spitfires, exeter & abandoned 17-4-43
v5568 1401flt blenheim shot down by whirlwind 137Sq 27-05-42
cheers
jerry
Old 3rd January 2006, 19:40

drgondog is on a distinguished road

I am aware of two in the 355th FG. First was April 26, 1944. Bob Boulet in 354FS WR-E was hit by 'friendly' B-17's and forced to bail to become POW.

The second was September 18,1944 on the Frantic VII mission to drop supplies on Polish underground. Robert Peters was shot down and died of wounds by another 358FS pilot while Peters was shooting down an Bf 109G..

I haven't read through the rest of the thread but John Godfrey of 4th FG was shot down by another 4FG pilot shooting at same a/c on the ground.

Regards,

Bill Marshall
Old 3rd January 2006, 20:23

Brian - PS I do know which 358FS pilot shot down Robert Peters, but out of respect for his family and the survivors of Peter's family I choose not to reveal the name.

The story was pretty sad as the daughter of Peters in searching for the "why and how' discovered an eyewitness to subsequent events. Apparently Peters was mortally wounded but under full control of his YF-X and landed wheels down in a field. Polish farmers rushed to his smoking Mustang to provide assistance, but intercepted by German soldiers who formed a ring around the P-51 but made no effort to approach. Peters allegedly waved to the Polish farmers and after a couple of minutes slumped down in the cockpit and died... how would you like to get THAT letter.

Regards,

Bill Marshall
Old 4th January 2006, 00:58
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Bill
Sorry, but I have read a little bit different story. The pilot who downed Peters visited the family just after the war and expressed his heartiest regret. Reputedly they apparently forget his name. A few years ago they were contacted by a man (Jerzy Boć?) who researched both 355 crashes in the area and I presume it was at the time they learned exact circumstances.
As yet I was unable to identify the German unit involved. A few years ago I have heard story of a German pilot visiting the crashsite in 1990s - I supose he downed Vigna. According to a one account a German pilot landed at a nearby airfield (likely Chrcynne near Nasielsk, now still in use for ultralights and skydiving) and rode to the crashsite.
Another US airman was murdered by Germans during the mission, this being one of the cremembers of B-17 We'll be seeing you which crashed at Dziekanów Leśny on Northern suburbs of Warsaw. This Fortress was claimed by JG51.
Old 4th January 2006, 12:41
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Apologies to one and all. Seems like I should have put more water in my whisky! My attempt to brighten up the day seems to have been a miserable failure! Never mind, once bitten , twice shy.

Back to business: WHERE ARE YOU NIKITA? Did you receive my e-mail? WHERE ARE YOU SIX NIFTY? My e-mails to you were returned!

All the best for 2006

Brian
Probably just missed during the happy season, no harm done by having a little fun!

Regards,

EDIT - Both jokes certainly made me laugh once I read them!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 4th January 2006, 19:41

I respect your difference of opinion but the only part of the story that will sustain a 'difference' is whether the story of the pilot on the ground was in fact left to die as described in the letter to Peters daughter. I read the letter and repeated as closely as I recall the facts.

As to the rest of the story - my father, Bert Marshall, led the 355th FG on that mission, a reinforced group of 4 Squadrons/64P-51's, some borrowed from 361st and 4th. He and Billy Hovde were very close friends. Hovde was leading Blue Flight of the 358FS and one of the pilots in his flight first came to him after Frantic VII and admitted shooting down Peters after a 109 shot down Vigna on Peters wing while Peters was shooting down another 109.

I was personally in this discussion more than once while growing up in a community of fighter pilots and reviewed the details once again for my book about the 355th with Billy - then decided not to include the data in the book.

Warm Regards,

Bill Marshall

This part is not debatable.
Old 4th January 2006, 19:57

some photos of Frantic VII
Old 5th January 2006, 11:36
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Bill
I cannot agree or disagree, I have just read an article. If you like, I may put you in touch with people, who possibly know Mr Boć.
I understand your decision not to reveal the name, although a recent research indicates friendly-fire was nothing unordinary or even a quite common cause of losses.
Your Frantic photos are just stunning, breathless!
Old 6th January 2006, 01:40

Thanks Franek - I believe I read the letter (if Mr Boc is the author) to his daughter and may have a copy somewhere.. I sent quite a few photos to her (daughter) a couple of years ago and put her in touch with several 358FS pilots that flew with Peters.

Bill