Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th July 2014, 20:05

Blücher is on a distinguished road
Me 262 loss east of Leipheim

Hello Everybody,

Recently a gentleman, Mr. Paul Mader, form the village of Großanhausen, about 10 kilometers east of Leipheim airfield, published his memoirs. In his book “Großanhausen – Ein kleines Dorf in Schwaben“, he describes an interesting incident in which a Me 262 was involved. According to his book, such an aircraft made an emergency landing north of the village Unterknöringen in late 1944. The pilot was rescued by a French POW.
Here is a rough translation of the German text.

"About the same time [when Boeckler was shot down: November 18, 1944] a less serious accident occurred at Unterknöringen. A fighter pilot, who had started with a fully armed Me 262 at Leipheim, discovered an engine fire immediately after takeoff. Over the valley of River Kammel he decided to make an emergency landing. The flat fields north of Unterknöringen seemed to be suitable for it. He already flew so low that he shaved off the crown of an alley tree at the road towards Remshart, crossed the gravel pit, and touched down on the fields. The right engine was already burning brightly.
Less than a hundred meters away, a French prisoner of war was working in the fields. He noted that the pilot was not able to climb out of the machine by himself. Apparently he was injured. Under the risk of his own life, the Frenchman rushed to the scene, was able to free the pilot from his unpleasant situation and take him away from the danger zone.
Minutes later, the whole plane was on fire. The magazines of the cannons exploded. The tracers scattering like a firework. The pilot was taken to the hospital in Burgau.
He was still there in February 1945, when my father was there for a hernia surgery. Both talked some times; however the conversations were not very productive. The air force officer was one of those who still believed in the final victory, even two months before the end of the war. [...] "

For those who want to read the original German text, I have added the PDF to my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmgd9xm4yx...ben%20Zeit.pdf

My intention now is to identify the pilot and his aircraft. In order to do so, I tried to gather details regarding all incidents in a radius of about 12 kilometers around Leipheim airfield in which Me 262’s were involved. Most of the data is from Mr. O’Connell’s book; however I also went through other sources to make the list below. (Of course, I can’t guarantee that the list is totally complete!)
Here is the link to the document on my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4g1xa7y4p...20Leipheim.pdf

It seems as if there are at least two possible matches regarding the Me 262 loss described in Mr. Mader’s book.

First: the loss of Werknummer 110575 in October or November 1944. The pilot however is unknown.

And second the loss of Werknummer 170116 due to engine fire on January 25th, 1945. The pilot of the aircraft was Fw. Meier of Fl.Ü.G. 1 ([3]).

Since Mr. Mader gives the date of the incident with (about) November 1944 it seems more likely that the first possibility might be the aircraft which I’m searching for.

What is the opinion of this community regarding this topic? Does anyone have further details regarding these two losses?

Any help is appreciated!

Here is a small aerial photo of the location from May 1945:

And this is how the area looks today:

https://www.google.de/maps/place/48%C2%B026%2741.8%22N+10%C2%B022%2757.9%22E/@48.4449304,10.382753,2912m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Kind reagards,
Michael

Sources:
[1] Mader, P.: „Großanhausen – Ein kleines Dorf in Schwaben“, 2014.
[2] Foreman, J. and Harvey S.E.: „The Messerschmitt Me 262 combat diary“, 2008.
[3] O’Connell, D.: “Messerschmitt Me 262 – The Production Log 1941-1945”, 2005.
[4] Remp, R. and Hörner P. G.: “Gigantische Zeiten? – Die Geschichte des Fliegerhorstes Leipheim, Teil 1, 1935 bis 1960”, 2006.
[5] Willbold, H.: „Der Luftkrieg zwischen Donau und Bodensee“, 2009.
[6] The Kracker Luftwaffe Archive: http://www.aircrewremembered.com/KrackerDatabase/

Last edited by Blücher; 21st July 2014 at 08:20.

Tags
leipheim, me 262