Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th May 2014, 21:45
Dawn Patrol

Honor Goblet name research help needed.

Hi guys, just found this interesting forum and thought there might be a chance someone would be able to help me research the name on an Ehrenpokal I have had in my collection since 1988. This came from the nephew of the vet who brought it back in 45. The name is:Oberfeldwebel Walter Siegmund. Date of action for the award is: AM 16.11.42. I have found some bits of information on this name as follows: Feb. 1939 attached to Kampfgruppe K/88 in Spain. Flying JU 52. Listed as Unteroffizier Walter Siegmund, flight engineer. Condor Legion? Then on this forum some time ago someone IDed a crash site photo in Holland with the following information: "Sep. 26, 1940 Stabsstaffel K/63 Donier Do 17Z-3 (2591). Lost bearings on return over England. Abandoned plane near Maastricht. BM Feldwebel Walter Siegmund bailed out, slightly injuring left knee. Admitted to a hospital in Antwerp." This is the only time I have found this name in records online. I checked and he is not on the KC lists. Not sure about German Cross award. Maybe the date is a clue. Probably beyond chance to find a photograph of him but hoping to at least find out what the award was for. Thanks for any thoughts. The other items shown are not Siegmunds. Just a display.

Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 15th May 2014 at 19:49.
Old 16th May 2014, 02:28

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road
Re: Honor Goblet name research help needed.

Nice Pokal, but you need to get that tunic sorted as far as proper awards go.
Old 16th May 2014, 04:15
Dawn Patrol

Thank you for the comment. This tunic along with the blue visor came together in 1980 and are not related to Siegmund's Pokal. Just for photographic display purposes here.
Old 16th May 2014, 14:01

hucks216 is on a distinguished road

He isn't listed in the DKiG listings and is listed as an Observer (Beobachter) in the Ehrenpokal list, although in the Ordensträger his awarding date is 23rd Nov 1942 which is a general awarding date. The Ehrenpokal was awarded to bridge the gap between the EK I and the DKiG. It could of been awarded for a number of reasons including reaching a certain number of missions.
Old 17th May 2014, 18:25
Dawn Patrol

Thank you hucks216 for this information. Most helpful. I wonder if he survived the war.