Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th December 2023, 17:56

DDT is on a distinguished road
Obstlt. Adolf Galland

according to D.CALDWELL books about JG 26, Kdre. Galland was WIA on 2nd of July 1941, on page 146 Vol.1 Loss List and on page 535 Vol.2 Loss List. Probably after combat with a Spitfire in a Bf 109F-2. No mention of the combat in the rest of the books. Also no mention of this accident in Prillers book.
I've looked in the RL 2-III/754 list. Here only his mishap on 21-06-1941 has been noted. Is there more information to find of has somenone more about this action on 2/7/1941?
Many thanks and kind regards,

Dirk
Old 28th December 2023, 14:24
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Obstlt. Adolf Galland

In his book The First and the Last he gives an account of what happened on 2 Jul 41. Apparently a 20mm round hit his newly fitted armour plating and he received superficial wounds. Perhaps as he was not meant to be flying combat missions any more this was not recorded?

Last edited by Chris Goss; 28th December 2023 at 15:18.
Old 28th December 2023, 22:45
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

The date comes from memories of Galland, indeed. It seems correct, though it had been suggested, he mistook it. Unfortunately, there is no log book fr the period, and it is not known, which aircraft he flew. I am not sure, what extent of damage could have caused a cannon hit into the cockpit, but I would expect a bit of patching. Interestingly, I have not seen a photo of the aircraft. Even if damage was minor, the loss should have been recorded due to wounds of Galland. I believe that the records are not complete, and the information may have been lost in the processing.
Old 28th December 2023, 23:16

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

Not the same topic and maybe this has been mentioned before on this forum, but I just finished "Wings of War" by Laddie Lucas, pub. 1983. Short stories from many different aviators and their commanders, etc.

Says that Adolf Galland was nicknamed by his father, with the name "Keffer".
Old 29th December 2023, 17:53

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

Yes, and his brother got the nickname 'Wutz', same as my brother. It's slang for piglet.