Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th February 2009, 22:07

nordy6 is on a distinguished road
Smile Junkers aircraft flugzeug identification tag help

I RECENTLY AQUIRED THIS ID TAG FROM A JUNKERS AIRCRAFT. I WAS TOLD IT CAME FROM A CRASHED JU 52 IN GERMANY AROUND 1942. CAN SOMEONE LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET SOME INFO CONCERNING THIS TAG? SERAIL NUMBER 4452, DRAWING NUMBER 509-124. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.
NORDY6
Old 19th February 2009, 23:53

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road
Re: Junkers aircraft flugzeug identification tag help

I question if this is in fact a plate from a Ju 52. My experience associates this type of Ju - He plate with Junkers (Jumo) engine installations on Heinkel airplanes. Examples include Jumo 211 variants used on He 111H models. As for the "Serie" number, I suggest that that is a part or component production serial number, and not an aircraft identification number.
Old 20th February 2009, 09:26

David Ransome

Hi,
I agree with Steve on it being from a Heinkel with JuMo engines.
regards,
David
Old 21st February 2009, 11:55
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

No. Its Ju 88 A-4 wing plate. I have seen exactly same drawing number on another, recovered from Ju 88 wreck in UK.
Old 21st February 2009, 14:18

philippe1 is on a distinguished road

indeed its from ju 88 coz dessau made ju87-88
and if you think logicaly would Heinkel go to Junkers to assemble Heinkel planes or parts????so forget about heinkel.
some people should read tech-historical war time printed books before they react coz due to this lots of mis understandings are happening.
Its the same with some of books that are written only a few years ago some just write books so their name is seen and if you do some reasearch on the stuff they wrote its plenty of mistakes coz they take it over from books written before on the same object
first reasearch and than writing.
Old 21st February 2009, 19:48
Alter Hase

Hello pillippe1,

Basically most of what you say about repeating old errors is true, just exactly what example you made is not quite right and illustrate that perhaps you too is repeating ´old erros´. Simplified I say this: Junkers did build whole Heinkel designs (He 111 and He 162) but Heinkel also produced Ju 88 wings from 1939 to at least March 1943, and also assembled whole Ju 88´s (with NDD fuselages). Dessau (for most parts) was the company headquarters and postal adress (and its plates say Dessau, despite most parts were made elsewhere) but most early Junkers aircraft were built there. Just very few Ju 88´s were made at Dessau. I dare say ´99%´ of Ju 88´s were built elsewhere but FZB (Bernburg) was the largest of many large Junkers factories and literally hundreds of Lizenz factories made almost countless numbers of smaller (including Junkers designed) parts and sub-assemblies. Details of much of this main production history are the basis of my current Ju 88 book project.

Best regards
ed
Old 21st February 2009, 21:03

David Ransome

Thanks for the info Ed!

Philippe1, where do I start.......no I can't really be that bothered. Suffice it to say that I have had He111 engine/engine ancillaries parts in my possession in the past that have had very similar plates on them where Junkers had made them for Heinkel.

Regards,

David
Old 21st February 2009, 23:51
Alter Hase

Hello David,

Thanks too for sharing this info too. He 111 H with Jumo engines (or should I say JuMo) is not part of my investigaton (but I prefer to call it survey as I have neither the time nor resources to lunch full research on every detail). Indeed it now ocurrs to me that perhaps JuMo, PoMo or MiMo provided Heinkel with complete ´power eggs´?

Best regards
ed
Old 22nd February 2009, 03:32

David & Ed,

Good to hear from both of you! Thank you for the clarifications and added information. For me, you are the "go to guys" when it comes to the He 111 (David) and Ju 88 (Ed).

Here, I show two more equivalent examples of the Ju - He plate:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...nmymgg&thumb=4

While overall layout is the same, there are slight style differences between the two; e.g., the location and size of the Junkers and the Heinkel text lines and logos are different. Also, one plate has a border, one does not. It's interesting that fabrication date information (F.M.) was not entered on any of the plates.

Some plates related to Phillippe's flawed admonition are upcoming . . .

Steve

Last edited by stephen f. polyak; 22nd February 2009 at 04:24.
Old 22nd February 2009, 04:07

Here are some plates that identify various major companies involved in Ju 88 production:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...wnjwzd&thumb=4