Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th February 2011, 00:43

Dean M. Wick is on a distinguished road
Gollob's 1940 claims

Greetings: Looking for some discussion on a question that has arisen before, although ( I think) not with Gollob specifically. My question concerns claims awarded to him on 9.7.40. While other pilot's seem to have been involved this day in shooting down 201 Sqn's Sunderland and 233 Sqn's Hudson ( notably Obfw. Schob, and Lt. Boehmel of 3/ZG76) Gollob appears to have received credit for both. Some author's, notably Larry Donnelly ("The other Few") don't even mention him, awarding the claims to the other two pilot's. Is this a case of rank prevailing? (Gollob was St/Kpt. of 3/ZG76). Curious if anyone has an opinion on this. Thanks. Dean
Old 10th February 2011, 22:02
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Gollob's 1940 claims

Hello Dean

It is my understanding that he was involved along with Schob in the destruction of Sunderland I (N6133) "ZN-Y" of 201 Sqn, RAF based on the combat report that I have seen and I have the impression that both received credit for this shoot down. I must admit that I had never previously read of another pilot being involved in the destruction of Hudson I (N7377) of 233 Sqn, RAF but perhaps it was a similar situation as the previous victory?

Horrido!

Leo