Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 18th November 2017, 04:09
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
The Rise and Fall of the French Air Force: French Air Operations and Strategy 1900-1940

Scheduled for 2 February 2018.

https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Fre...ords=air+force

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 18th November 2017, 20:58
Alter Hase

CJE
Re: The Rise and Fall of the French Air Force: French Air Operations and Strategy 1900-1940

Thanks Ed.
Without you, I'd probably had missed this one.

Chris
Old 18th November 2017, 21:52
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: The Rise and Fall of the French Air Force: French Air Operations and Strategy 1900-1940

You're welcome, Chris.

Best,
Ed
Old 6th May 2018, 12:44
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJE View Post
Thanks Ed.
Without you, I'd probably had missed this one.

Chris
Any good Chris?

Cheers
Stig
Old 6th May 2018, 17:52

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

Coincidentally I have just finished reading this book. I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in the development of French air power and the evolution of their aircraft leading up to World War Two. It's the best work I've found in English and the author makes extensive use of French primary sources in his work. It should be noted that this book is not primarily a history of the 1940 campaign so there is no indepth, day by day analysis of combat actions. What is does do is look at how policy and doctorine shaped how the French responded and acted in the air during that campaign, the type of aircraft they used and how they used them, how they were organized and how they responded to the changing fortunes of that campaign.
Old 6th May 2018, 18:25
Alter Hase

Thanks Orwell

Since the 1930s decisions are pretty well known, I am more interested in finding out what the book has to say about the period 1900-1920/25. Especially the period 1900-1910 would be very interesting. What was the French thinkings during the Great War and immediately post that conflict?
Also why did it take so long for the French to create an independent Air Force?

If the 1930s is the main topic and unless the author has come up with something revolutionary to say regarding the disastrous 1939-40 conflict, I must say I will pass this one over...

Cheers
Stig
Old 6th May 2018, 18:40

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

Hi Stig
All the questions you mentioned are discussed in the book and the first three chapters and part of the fourth look at French military aviation up to 1930s (including the Rif war). One interesting point he looks at is how by the end of World War One, the French air forces had developed a level of tactical support for the Army that was excellent. He traces how this skill was forgotten (in the bomber madness of the 30s that so many air services got involved in) and only rediscovered too late . His discussion of the BCR concept and where it took the French I found fascinating. As I said in English I haven’t found much better, but I’m sure there is much more in-depth in French.
Old 6th May 2018, 20:52
Alter Hase

Thanks again

Maybe it is not so bad after all.
What would be interesting would be a review by one of our French members.

I have always found Chris E to be a person who can think outside the box, so I would very much value his input (or from anyone else Gallic by birth....)

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th May 2018, 21:00
Alter Hase

CJE

Thanks Stig.
However, I have to buy and read the book first...
But I will !

For the record, I have just published a special issue of Aéro-Journal (unfortunately in French) on the May-June 40 campaign and the demise of the Armée de l'Air.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:40
Alter Hase

Thanks Chris

I think I also will have a go at the book, but I have right now bought a rather huge package which I am still waiting for (....and paying for ), so it will be something like six months before I can give it a try....

Why not publish something in English Chris? Your control of the language is excellent.

Cheers
Stig