Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th October 2009, 23:55

andy bird is an unknown quantity at this point
Luftwaffe air combats with Blenheims 1940

Hi,

Sorry I may be naive, and I'm still finding it a total minefield whilst researching for 'Coastal Dawn' when it comes to the Battle of Britain, plenty of accounts published of duels with Spitfires and Hurricanes by German fighter pilots/units, but very few when it comes air battles with Blenheims of 235, 236, 248 and 254 Sqns.

I'd like to include some first hand accounts from German airmen that shot down Blenheims from RAF Coastal Command therefore does anyone know of German accounts which I could translate?

Once again any help would be Appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Andrew

andybird235@hotmail.com
Old 28th October 2009, 11:19

Dean M. Wick is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe air combats with Blenheims 1940

Andy: Ulrich Steinhilpers book "Spitfire on my tail" makes reference to the shooting down of a Blenheim off the coast of France during the BOB.Sorry, I don't have the book available at the moment for a page reference. Cheers. Dean
Old 29th October 2009, 05:04

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

Andy, my uncle had plenty of encounters with Blenheims whilst leading 9. JG 3 during the BoB. In fact, in one memorable action, they massacred a whole squadron which was on its way to attack targets in France. Kesselring came to the airfield to decorate my uncle and his wingman, Leutnant Franz Achleitner, after this action.
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:20

andy bird is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Thanks to you both.

Andy
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:47

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
Andy, my uncle had plenty of encounters with Blenheims whilst leading 9. JG 3 during the BoB. In fact, in one memorable action, they massacred a whole squadron which was on its way to attack targets in France. Kesselring came to the airfield to decorate my uncle and his wingman, Leutnant Franz Achleitner, after this action.
Pardon me for asking but if it's not too much of an invasion of privacy, who is your Uncle? Presumably he flew with JG3 throughout the war?

NM
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:55

Nick, my uncle was Major Dr. Albrecht Ochs. He was CO of 9. JG 3 during the BoB, later CO of Erg. Jagdgruppe 51, amongst other postings. He was also a WW1 aviator and claimed his first victory in January, 1918.
Old 4th November 2009, 05:00

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
Nick, my uncle was Major Dr. Albrecht Ochs. He was CO of 9. JG 3 during the BoB, later CO of Erg. Jagdgruppe 51, amongst other postings. He was also a WW1 aviator and claimed his first victory in January, 1918.
Thanks VtwinVince! I see your Uncle is a bit like Theo Osterkamp: A fighter pilot in both World Wars;

NM
Old 4th November 2009, 22:21

He flew two-seaters and Gothas in the first conflict, and made the 1918 claim with an Albatros CIII, for which he received the Ehrenbecher. Apparently he shot a Spad off the tail of his CO, Hauptmann Kastner of FA62 fame, thereby saving his life.
Old 5th November 2009, 04:01

NickM

Thanks for the details; I Googled his name & found a bit of his history;
I assume he was taken off of flying duty after the BoB?

Thx

NM
Old 5th November 2009, 07:16

He had a "personality conflict" with Moelders, so was sent to JG 53, then JG 27 in Africa for awhile, then he was CO of a Fliegerzielgeschwader, then he was a Nachtjagdraumfuehrer, amongst other things, and ended the war back on 109's with Erg. JG1, flying right up until April, 1945.