Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th December 2009, 18:19

RolandF is on a distinguished road
Bf109K-4 production at "Bürg"

Flicking through a brand-new book about the Flossenbürg concentration camp I saw several copies of documents concerning the dispersed Messerschmitt production at this place. The Messerschmitt documents - classified as "Geheim!" called the production site KZ Flossenbürg with its codename "Bürg" - similar to "Gauting" or "Stauffen". SS documents were talking of this site under the code designation "Rüstungsfertigung 2004" - with a map depicting the former granite quarry installations almost completely for plane production. Interestingly most installations were used by Messerschmitt, showing the size of this particular production site. The Messerschmitt documents wore stamps of official US authorities so we know where these documents have vanished...

Does anybody know the designation "Bürg" or "Rüstigungsfertigung 2004"? This was totally new for me.

Regards

Roland
Old 19th December 2009, 19:27
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Bf109K-4 production at "Bürg"

"Most" German aircraft industry/manufacturer documents captured by U.S. and British forces ended up in the National Air and Space Museum's Garber Facility in Suitland, Maryland, as microfilms in a collection entitled Captured German & Japanese Air Technical Documents. Many American and European researchers have visited and used this facility and none to my knowledge report having seen any original documents. Everything is on microfilm. The Messerschmitt collection is huge, covering many, many rolls of microfilm, I have been told. The old paper card index to this collection is currently being digitized, and I know that several German volunteer interns have been doing the work during the summers as time allows.

This is not to say that every single piece of paper in this category that was captured by the U.S./U.K. captured document teams was successfully microfilmed before the original document was returned to the BRD. A few may have been lost, misplaced or intentionally removed and transferred to another collection. Since the documents in question have to do with a Konzentrationslager, it is entirely possible that they were turned over to the war crimes people and ended up in U.S. National Archives record group RG 238 or possibly in the U.N. archives in New York.

L.
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:42

masmar is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf109K-4 production at "Bürg"

Hi Roland,
I read about it in "Flössenburg - Das Konzentrationslager Flossenbürg und seine Außenlager" by Wolfgang Benz and Barbara Distel. On Page 35 their writting about "Kommando 2004" as code name for the Messerschmitt Produktion and the conversion of the chiseler halls.
The refeferences mention the following:

102 Undatierter Plan für die Ausweitung der Rüstungsfertigung 2004, in:
AGFL, B222. ...

Maybe that's helpful.

Regards

Matthias