Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th January 2019, 23:05
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe

I do. I find it a very slow process either online or downloaded to browse the files. Also, if individual pictures would be posted online, a few persons should be able to quickly tag it in basic categories like army, air force or navy.
Old 19th January 2019, 09:50
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
I do. I find it a very slow process either online or downloaded to browse the files. Also, if individual pictures would be posted online, a few persons should be able to quickly tag it in basic categories like army, air force or navy.
TNA is a British public service and as such receives neither the money nor the people to do such a desirable thing.

As for it being a slow process, that’s my whole experience of Luftwaffe research!
Old 19th January 2019, 19:46
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

I do not mean it should be made by TNA (which is funded from taxes anyway), but perhaps by some group of interest.

Life is too short, so I believe that where is a chance to make it faster, it should be done.
Old 25th March 2019, 21:23

Moriii is on a distinguished road

About copying the HW5: I believe some have made the effort. I have seen private catalogs with hundreds of them. It should more be a matter of finding the person with the relevant copy than duplicating the effort.

As a matter of fact, we would probably all be better off should we pool the files we copied in isolation.
Old 7th April 2019, 19:29

righidan is on a distinguished road

Dear friends,
As these posts show, the value of the ULTRA intercepts for studying the Luftwaffe history is indisputable.
While the best source are the original messages, the material included in the DEFE 3 files is enormous, and it is freely accessible from every part of the word, and downloadable to your PC for your personal research.
One of the problems with these files is that there is no system to how the files are catalogued which makes researching a particular period rather cumbersome.
To overcome this problem, I have prepared a guide that I think could be useful to some other researchers.
I post it here, hoping that younger researchers with more time could use it, to bring benefit to everybody.
In the meanwhile if you had crash reports, prisoner interrogations and similar material on the III./ZG 26 during its Mediterranean stay, I could find some use for them…
Regards
Daniele
Old 7th April 2019, 21:28
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I have prepared a guide that I think could be useful to some other researchers.
Congratulations on your efforts. I am sure many members will be grateful to you.

Quote:
there is no system to how the files are catalogued which makes researching a particular period rather cumbersome.
There are ways around this. I made a guide to Army/Luftwaffe DEFE 3 files but for 1944/45 only. I did that for my own research when the file index was only on paper but now the online National Archives catologue offers another (much simpler!) possibility for earlier years.

Go to the National Archives Advanced Search page:
  • in the "Exact word or phrase" box, type: CAIRO
  • in the "Any of these references" box, type: DEFE 3
  • in the "Date / from / to" boxes, type [for example]: 1942 and 1943
  • The hit the "Search" button and when the results appear, you will see they are sorted by "relevance". Change that to "Date - ascending" and you have the list of files for the year(s) you asked for.
Specifying CAIRO should (I hope) help avoid the many series of naval messages which are also in DEFE 3.

Be warned that for the period before March 1941 you must go to the HW 5 series and that is on paper only.
Old 27th October 2019, 14:51

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm looking for the following ULTRA decrips with info about Küstenstaffel Krim:
CX/MSS/R158(D)6
CX/MSS/T159/59

Please help.

Best regards,
Andrey
Old 27th October 2019, 15:25

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi Andrey,

CX/MSS/R158(D)6 is just a strength return for 10 April 1944, and CX/MSS/T159/59 notes: "Advanced detachment Mamaia and Chersones". I can send you these pages via email if you like.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles
Old 27th October 2019, 16:42

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road

Hello Andrew,

yes. Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Andrey
Old 16th March 2021, 19:29
Super Moderator

I've started looking at the files in the DEFE 3/ series which cover Italian naval signals and I'm turning up occasional references to German and Italian aircraft losses. Some examples are attached.

To find this series of signals, go to the UK National Archives site's advanced search option, put ZTPI in the "exact word or phrase" box and DEFE 3/ in the box "search for or within references". This returns 39 hits covering June 1941–September 1943 and each file contains around 1,000 messages.

The Bf 109 referred to in two of the attachments seems to be G-2/trop. W.Nr. 10483 of 4./JG 53, belly landed following engine trouble on "Insel Iekas" (actually Lefkada, Greece), pilot Ofw. Karl Marten.