Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th June 2015, 10:54

Jasate is on a distinguished road
Info on this 109

Hey!

This 109 is marked on Haldimann's site as a K-4 belonging to JG 27.

While I believe it being a K-4 ("Bodenwöhr" camo pattern, no pressurized air cap), the checkered tail band instantly raised a red flag.

Possible KG(J) 6 bird? The checkered colours seem to match.

Old 18th June 2015, 17:38

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough
Re: Info on this 109

Hello Jasate,

I wish this was an example of a Karoband on a K-4, but unless I am mistaken, this is previously-published photo of Bf 109 K-4 (331xxx) 17+ green or yellow, as found postwar at either Osnabrück or Achmer. In other views of it, its solid green JG27 RV band is more apparent. All details of this aircraft match those of the aforementioned K-4: wings removed; standing on its main landing gear; spinner in 1/3-white and 2/3-70 or black; cowling missing, etc.

Steve Sheflin
Old 18th June 2015, 18:43

Thanks!

I'm assuming you mean these photographs:

Both of these are definitely marked as being from Achmer (These two above taken a year later?), and there are similarities that often wouldn't warrant a second look (Such as some of the camo lines, bullet holes? and chipped paint)

Some points that bother me:
- Maybe exhaust is covering the camo so it looks very different?
- Prop cone and blades seem different (Different pattern, blades bent in different angles, atleast look to be)
- Picture damaged/Camera artifacts to seem like first picture has more chipped paint?
- With time between different picture the plane was probably moved.
- What happened to the tail band? Worn out in weather? Same thing with camo, the wear seem too conveniently placed.
- Did the oil sump change colour or is the difference lighting/wear?

What bothers me the most, is the way how the tail band demarcation seems too sharp.
Old 19th June 2015, 10:52
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

Hi there Jasate and Steve,

There is a third pic of this plane, recently sold on eBay:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/280920...in/photostream

There is no doubt as to this being a 16./JG 27 machine found in Achmer. This pic was too taken 20 May 1946...and weathering on late war camouflage paints was quite dramatic indeed... The camouflage pattern points out to a W.Nr. 330xxx or 331xxx batch produced machine.

Cheers
Marc
Old 19th June 2015, 15:33

Thanks for your reply.

Spending too much time comparing these photographs, I can't come to any other conclusion than these being the same plane, just pictured at different stages.

Wouldn't be the first time one bird pictured under different conditions would look completely different.

Tags
bf 109, me 109