Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st October 2018, 02:47

Renoracer is on a distinguished road
FW190 pilot Helmut Brandt

Does anybody know where I can find information, maybe a photograph, of Helmut Brandt? He flew on the Eastern Front, his plane suffered a mechanical failure and he was forced to land on frozen Lake Lagoda in 1943. He was captured, and his plane was also captured by the Soviets. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by Renoracer; 31st October 2018 at 22:12.
Old 3rd November 2018, 05:38

Faenor is on a distinguished road
Re: FW190 pilot Helmut Brandt

Hi Renoracer,

this one?

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/img/fw190a4_lad.shtml

Faenor
Old 4th November 2018, 21:25
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough

Hi Renoracer,

here you can find informations too:
Gen.Qu. loss return 20 Jan 1943 item 46:
16.1. 2./JG 54 Feindflug, Auftrag: südöstlich Schlüsselburg, Ursache: vermutlich Notlandung. Fw 190 A-4 2310 schwarze 2 100%, Uffz Helmut Brandt vermisst.

Jagdfliegerverbände Teil 9/III page 111:
16.01.43 2./JG 54 Uffz Helmut Brandt KG Flak, 8 km östlich Schlüsselburg, 11.30 Uhr, 100% Fw 190 A-4 2310 schwarze 2.

Regards
Leo
Old 5th November 2018, 22:46

Yes Faenor, that is his plane. I was not able to find any information about him on this 12 O'Clock high forum, only on other forums. I'm trying to verify his history by trying to crosscheck sources.

Thank you for taking the time!

Leo, thank you for taking the time to find this information! Where did you find this information?
Old 6th November 2018, 13:33

kirche is on a distinguished road

Hello,
same plane:
http://karopka.ru/upload/comments/5/...t-Lake-Lad.jpg
https://propjet.ucoz.ru/_fr/0/6367570.jpg
https://propjet.ucoz.ru/_fr/0/6022288.jpg

After the damage was repaired, the plane was tested at the NII VVS KA and a training film was released (available on YouTube).
First, replaced the damaged propeller with a propeller from Ju 87 and sent it to NII VVS (in Leningrad, 1 repair base)
Tests of the aircraft took place from June 14 to July 16, 1943. Engineer P. Onoprienko and Chief Test Pilot Y. Antipov (+ Kochetkov, Golofastov ?)
According to some sources, the aircraft was handed over to the BNT exhibition (Bureau of New Technology) at TsAGI - the subsequent fate is unknown. Could get later in the MAI, where the remnants of the collection of BNT TsAGI were disposed of in the 1970s

The test results of this aircraft were published in the BNT TsAGI bulletin “Express Information” No. 23 (219), December 1943 (reissued to "Aviation Digest No. 3" - Appendix to TsAGI bulletin “Technical Information” in 1995)

Regards
Kirill
Old 6th November 2018, 13:52
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough

Hi Renoracer,

I have found the informations in the noted sources. If you have the matching literature (here: Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934-1945) and access to primary German sources (Namentliche Verlustmeldungen and microfilmed Gen.Qu. loss returns), it is easy to give informations. But sometimes the search takes up a great deal of time.

Regards
Leo
Old 7th November 2018, 03:19

Kirill, thank you very much for these photos and the information concerning the repairs and fate of the airplane. I have seen the YouTube video, and thank you for taking the time.

Leo, I don't have access to those sources of information, so I want to thank you for taking the time to do the research for me.

I am building a Dave Platt flying radio control model of a FW-190, and I chose to finish the plane in Helmut Brandt's colors. Part of my modeling is to learn about the pilot, and the plane. Helmut suffered a synchronizer failure that resulted in the destruction of his propellor. He was forced to land on the frozen Lake Ladoga and was subsequently captured by Soviet ground troops. The plane was repaired, as Kirill discovered, and a Soviet training film was made. The Soviets turned Helmut over to the British, and Helmut was somehow able to convince the British he had epilepsy, and he was sent back to Germany! This information was gathered from information found on airpages.ru, and other sources. Thank you Faenor, Leo, and Kirill for helping me find some of the missing pieces of the Helmut Brandt puzzle. I would still like to put a face with Helmut Brandt's name, so if anyone can find his photo, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Renoracer; 8th November 2018 at 02:09.
Old 12th November 2018, 14:06

kirche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoracer View Post
. The Soviets turned Helmut over to the British, and Helmut was somehow able to convince the British he had epilepsy, and he was sent back to Germany!
Hello,
know the source of this information? - sounds very doubtful.
Best regards,
Kirill