Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th February 2018, 08:40

kkarlsen is on a distinguished road
Aufklärungsgruppe 1. (F)33 Grove

Hello, I'm looking for information regarding the Arado Ar 234's found at Grove.

I haven’t been able to determine, if Arado 234’s from 1.(F)33 were actually flying operations out of Grove in 1945, or if the Arado’s just ended up in Denmark because they were retreating from other ‘Fliegerhorst's to avoid the advance of the Allied troops?

Regards: Kent
Old 26th February 2018, 09:33
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Aufklärungsgruppe 1. (F)33 Grove

http://www.ghostbombers.com/recon/23.../norway_1.html
Old 26th February 2018, 11:22

Thank's I have read your 'Ar 234 in Norway & Denmark´article, several times.
Maybe it's me, but it only seems to mention sorties out of Wittmundhafen, Stavanger and Schleswig?

PS: I assume the 'Luftwaffe General Denmark' is referring to the operations being led from Grove, Denmark?

Old 26th February 2018, 12:01
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkarlsen View Post
Thank's I have read your 'Ar 234 in Norway & Denmark´article, several times.
Maybe it's me, but it only seems to mention sorties out of Wittmundhafen, Stavanger and Schleswig?

PS: I assume the 'Luftwaffe General Denmark' is referring to the operations being led from Grove, Denmark?

There are references in the article to units being transferred to Grove but I can't confirm that any operations were flown from there although for example "The Luftwaffe’s Commanding General in Denmark reported two attempted evening missions by Ar 234s on the 6th" does suggest that these flights were made from his area of command. However, as the article says, he also reported on flights from Schleswig.

There is also this:
The General der Aufklärungsflieger announced on 21 April that 1./FAG 5 was being disbanded and that 1.(F)/33 was taking over the “entire task” of reconnaissance for U-boat operations. As a result, Einsatzkommando 1./FAG 5 would be renamed Einsatzkommando 1.(F)/33 and subsumed into 1./FAG 33.
This is very close to the end of the war but since 1.(F)/33 and 1./FAG 5 were at Grove at the time of the surrender, it seems quite possible that Ar 234s did operate from there.
Old 26th February 2018, 12:42

Thanks for the reply Nick, that's exactly the point of my question.

For example, I know that Oblt. Planck flew in from Wittmundhafen and landed on the 4th of may in Grove. On the next day (5th may) he departed from Grove and arrived in Stavanger Norway. Maybe all of the Arado's, found in Grove by the British, had arrived in a similar way, just before the Germans capitulated?

Tags
arado 234