Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th September 2009, 03:01

PanzerFodder is on a distinguished road
Hello, need some info on 4/KG30 Junkers Ju88A-14 4D+FM

Hello Guy's.

This is my first post, so will keep it sort.

I am looking for info on this aircraft "Junkers Ju88A-14 4D+FM of 4/KG30" it was shot down over the south of England on 23.4.1944.

I am trying to create an image of this plane for a flight sim, and need a few of the finer details to complete this prodject, such as the markings "4D+FM" would have all the letters have been black, or would the "F" have been a different coulour "ie" white or some other color ? I do have a link that got me intrested in this aircraft, but there is very little info on the color of these letters.
http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/luft...8.htm#markings

Any extra info about this aircraft of other planes from 4/KG30 at the time of "The Baby Blitz" in 1944 will be very helpfull.

Thanks for reading this...PanzerFodder...
Old 20th September 2009, 04:19

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello, need some info on 4/KG30 Junkers Ju88A-14 4D+FM

Hi...

If you follow this link www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/luft1944/Detering.html, you will get a lot of information on this machine, one of two listed for that night, the other apparently being 4D+OL.

There is a photograph of a Ju88 with Meänderung (wave pattern/meander) camouflage and a small '4D' Geschwader code. The remainder of the code, if this is your machine, may well have had standard size letters. At this time of the war, the Geschwader codes were often reduced to one-fifth of standard size.

There is also information on the crew members, and an account of the events of that night. Hope this is of use to you.

Regards...

Paul
Old 20th September 2009, 20:44

Hi Paul.

Thank you very much for the link, it is a great help to me and it is just what I have been looking for to finish my project .

While I am here! I wonder if anyone know's what colour the prop spinners would have been for this aircraft ? I have read that at this time of the war KG30 aircraft had two rings on the spinner in the colour of their Staffle, so I would be thinking that the colour for my aircraft will be white???.

Thanks again for the great link

Graham.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:46

Hi, Graham...

Glad the information was of use to you... . White would most likely have been the colours of the spinner rings in this case. On occasion, spnner colour was used to indicate Gruppe status rather than Staffel status, but if that was the intention with this example, that would also be white as fourth Staffel fell within II.Gruppe, whose I/D colour was also white. More often than not, though, spinner colours were used to confirm Staffel status.

Regards...

Paul
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:57

Hi Paul.

Thanks again for the information on this aircraft; I have think that I have enough now to finish my project.

Cheer’s…Graham…

Old 24th September 2009, 01:32

pietrzak is on a distinguished road

Thank you for acknowledging our website.
It has indeed taken many hours to produce what we have so far and we have many articles yet to be published. Our researchers have over 38 years of experience to offer and we are currently inundated with enquiries.
We are always willing, of course, to accept new articles and always credit our sources, so if you do have information that you would like published then please contact us via the link below.
In our archives we have now over 4,500 photographs (never been seen before) awaiting publication and we are trying to work out the best way forward with these.
Having recently added the Kracker Luftwaffe pages we have been approached by other researchers who would also like to host their research on our website. Of course we are interested, and we will always read and reaply to every email received but this does take up a great deal of our research time - so, please be patient.
Pietrzak
Look forward to hearing from you further.
http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/
Old 24th September 2009, 01:51

Hi, Pietrzak...

Good to hear from you. I have often looked in to your site and found it very interesting and helpful. I hope it continues to go from strength to strength. Look forward to seeing your efforts and others you work with in bringing more information and, no doubt, interesting and rare pictures to our attention.

Kindest regards...

Paul
Old 25th September 2009, 04:21

Agreed, this is an excellent site, I found a great deal of additional information there and not just about the aircraft that I am researching.
Have added it to my favorites list and I think this will be one of the main site’s I use in the future.

Cheer’s…Graham…
Old 5th October 2009, 02:52

pietrzak is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paul and Graham.
Your words of encouragement mean a great deal.
Hope that others come forward with further information.
Kelvin
http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/