Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd April 2005, 20:14

k-pp
I 61 - American?

Writing from Schatalowka on 28.9.41, my grandfather wrote that three Russian fighters attacked the airport. He describes them as "schwere russ. Ja[e]ger vom Typ I 61 (amerik. Baumuster)".

I get the impression after a quick search in webland, that the I 61 was the precursor to the MiG-1 and built by the Russians.

Does anyone know what plane my grandfather was thinking of? Was he incorrect by saying the I 61 was built by the Americans? Or is he thinking of a different plane?

If it helps, all three fighters were shot down, and my grandfather comments that a 2cm shell from one of the light Flak guns penetrated the engine of one plane through 4mm of armour. It was also carrying a bomb.

Many thanks.
Karl