Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th May 2005, 23:20

Modeldad will become famous soon enough
Theatre Markings for bombers stationed in Norway.

In late '41 3 / KG 26, flying He 111 (Torp), was moved from Finland to the west coast of Norway. Presumably, they would have had Eastern Front markings while in Finland (Yellow band, and underwing tips). When they were in Norway would they have continued to wear Eastern Front theatre marking, or have them changed. What would have been the theatre marking fro Norway?
Old 12th August 2005, 17:27

runeha is on a distinguished road
Re: Theatre Markings for bombers stationed in Norway.

Hi!

Regarding theatre markings for HE 111's operating in the Torpedobomber role in Norway I will assume that bombers operating from bases in Northern Norway had Eastern Front markings. One thing I've seen on both He 111's and He 115's operating from Northern Norway is that the fuselage band was painted on the undersides only up to the Balkenkreuz on the fuselage (much in the same manner as invasion stripes on allied a/c later in 44.) In many cases units from Southern Norway were temporarily stationed in Northern Norway for operations against convoys. I doubt these were painted in Eastern Front markings.

Aircraft operating in the southern parts of Norway didn't wear any theatre markings as far as I've seen. It's not before the RV bands started showing up on fighters later in the war that fuselage bands started showing up again.

I'm by no means an expert on this field but I hope some of my information can be of use for you:-) You can see a profile of an He 111 from 1./KG 26 operating from Bardufoss in '42 in Kagero's Heinkel He 111 Vol. 1. I doubt it's accuracy, but the theatre markings is like I've seen them on photos.

Best regards
Rune Haugen
Norway