Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th July 2012, 16:40

tasos greece is on a distinguished road
RAF recce units in Greece, May 1941

Hello everybody!
I am searching for an aerial photo of Molaoi airfield in the south-eastern tip of Peloponnese.
The only source I can think is the archives of the recce-units of the RAF, because in the 15th of May 1941 (two days prior to the night-bombing of the airfield by the Wellingtons of the 38th Squadron) , an english airplane (the german report talks about a "Blenheim-beobachter") probably took aerial photos of the airfield.
So , I need your help to find which RAF recce-units were active in Crete (if there was there base) during May 1941 and furthermore where I could search for those aerial photos.
Thank you.

Tasos

https://molaoiairfield.wordpress.com/
Old 14th July 2012, 17:07

Buffnut453 is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF recce units in Greece, May 1941

As far as I know there were no dedicated PR units in Greece at that time. It wasn't unusual, however, for other aircraft to be fitted with cameras - most British bombers of the time had the ability to carry at least one camera and, in the absence of dedicated PR units, would be used locally for PR purposes. I think you'll be lucky to find any pics - bear in mind that getting those photos to the UK would be challenging as Greece was progressively overtaken by the Axis.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:50

tasos greece is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your response. All your observations are to the point. I thought that only a PR unit should had a Blenheim equipped with a camera.
Now it seems a very difficult task to find a photo but do you know where could I search for aerial photos from the RAF in general?
Old 15th July 2012, 03:00

Buffnut453 is on a distinguished road

You could try the UK's primary archive of aerial reconnaissance imagery:

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/

However, like I said, the chances are pretty remote that any imagery of Greece in 1941 has survived. I wish you the best of luck...

Cheers,
Mark