Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 14th November 2020, 19:13

19JDKR45 is on a distinguished road
New Book - THEIRS THE STRIFE

I would like to let forum members know that my book Theirs the Strife is now available for purchase from Helion & Co. It will be available on Amazon at the end of Nov 20.

The book’s principle focus is the land battle fought in NW Germany in mid April 1945 between units of British Second Army and 2. Marine-Infanterie-Division on the Weser, Leine and Allen riverlines. However, the book also covers the units of 14. Fliegerdivision and their aircraft operating in NW Germany in April 1945 and describes a number of their final attacks, as well as the use of Flak assets in the land battle. In particular it covers the massed attacks against the British attempts to bridge the Weser at Stolzenau 5-6 April 1945, which included low-level, daylight attacks by Stuka 87-D of NSGr.1 (Nord); Schulunglehrgang Elbe’s ramming attack 7 April 1945; and a night attack against the bridge at Rethem on the Aller by I./KG66. On the British side it includes reports by Tempest pilots countering the threat to Stolzenau and describes the attack by 24 RP Typhoons on the German defence of Rethem.

The book is exceptionally detailed and features 75 maps, giving the reader excellent understanding of the battles. In addition to describing air operations, it provides a comprehensive context for those operations by detailing the land battle environment facing the Luftwaffe.

Best wishes - and keep well.

John Russell

Last edited by 19JDKR45; 14th November 2020 at 19:13. Reason: Forgot to sign
Old 14th November 2020, 23:12
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Book - THEIRS THE STRIFE

Where is your book printed? Helion prints either good quality books in Malta or lousy ones in the U. K.
Old 15th November 2020, 05:19

Edward is on a distinguished road

Mr. Russell, congratulations on the completion and publication of your book.

I look forward to reading this substantial work.

Edward

Theirs the Strife: The Forgotten Battles of British Second Army and Armeegruppe Blumentritt, April 1945

(Helion Books - 20 November 2020)
by John Russell
502 pages w/ 97 b&w photos, 25 figures and 74 maps - hardback

£35.00
Introductory offer £28.00 w/ Free UK delivery

https://www.helion.co.uk/military-hi...april-1945.php
Old 15th November 2020, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Where is your book printed? Helion prints either good quality books in Malta or lousy ones in the U. K.
I wasn’t aware of different print qualities but I’m relieved to be able to tell you that the book was printed in Malta on high quality, slightly glossed paper as this was best for map reproduction. I’m delighted with the final product and I can confidently tell you it is well printed in all respects. John
Old 15th November 2020, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Mr. Russell, congratulations on the completion and publication of your book.
Edward - many thanks for your kind words and for providing information on my book. So far it is being very well received. At one point I was concerned that it wouldn’t see the light of day owing to the grim effect Covid was having on publishing and forward sales. Mercifully that’s now in the past.

Best wishes

John
Old 16th November 2020, 08:18

krichter33 is on a distinguished road

Hello Mr. Russell. I have pre-ordered your book months ago! I'm really excited about it, since the subject matter is fascinating to me. I have already read the books No Triumphant Procession, and An Eclipse Without a Future, so I'm looking forward to this book as well!!! Is it mostly from the point of view of the Allies, or does it cover the German units comprehensively as well? Thanks!
Old 16th November 2020, 17:53

Dear krichter33 - if you enjoyed No Triumphant Procession then you will hugely enjoy Theirs the Strife as it has benefited from the years of further research I was able to conduct into the events of April 1945. While on balance there is more from the British side, I have been able to make greater use of German sources and Ultra decrypts to greatly increase the German record.

I haven't read 'An Eclipse...' but have a copy of 'Krieg in der Heimat', which was very useful, although care had to be taken as some of his material is not always 100% accurate. In case you hadn't seen it, here is the link to the book's description on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Theirs-Stri.../dp/1913118568. Best wishes and my thanks again for your interest. I have every confidence you will enjoy Theirs the Strife! John
Old 18th November 2020, 21:21

SteveR is on a distinguished road

I'll be picking up a copy when it hits the U.S. in Feb.
Old 19th November 2020, 09:34

Many thanks SteveR. I’m only sorry you have to wait so long! In the meantime keep well.

Best wishes

John
Old 27th November 2020, 23:57

Marcel van Heijkop is on a distinguished road

As someone who contributed something to this book I can only say: The book far exceeded my expectations! It's much thicker than I anticipated and incredibly detailed. In fact so detailed that a good friend will use it next year for a Battlefield Tour in the area. For me personally the book is extremely useful for a better understanding of the context of I./KG66’s operations against the Aller bridge near Rethem on the 15th of April 1945 and the ground war in April 1945 in general.

Highly recommended!

Marcel

Tags
14.fliegerdivision, april 1945, nw germany