Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th March 2008, 04:23

Norbert Schuchbauer
WWII charts

Hi everyone,
does anyone have info regarding a website that has the ultimate in WWII charts and maps at a scale as small as 1:250,000????

Any help is apprechiated,

Norbert
Old 13th March 2008, 15:15

yogybär is on a distinguished road
Re: WWII charts

Hallo Norbert,

was für Tabellen und Karten von welchen Regionen denn genau ?
Old 13th March 2008, 16:24

Norbert Schuchbauer

Well, I would love to have it for the entire European theater including North Africa. But I'm well aware that this is a rather optimistic endavour.

I would like to have them to pinpoint locations that are listed in sveral pilot logbooks but I'm unable to verify the exact spelling. All those books are written in the Suterlin script and some of the pilots have very lousy handwriting.

Thanks for the help,

Norbert
Old 13th March 2008, 22:27

yogybär is on a distinguished road

I don't know hwo such a map should help you if you already have problems reading the logbooks. Apart from that, german WK2-maps were NOT written in Sütterlin, at least the ones I know.

A suggestion: If you scan the unreadable parts of the books, I am sure people here in the forum can help you if you tell us which unit/rough area.
Old 14th March 2008, 02:26

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road

Hi, Norbert...

This may not be what you're after, but if you go through the undernoted link, you will see that there is a map available of Imperial Germany around the 1880s. It also includes areas of Poland, in some cases providing both German and Polish names for towns and cities etc, and small areas of the then Austro-Hungarian empire, The Netherlands and Denmark too, I believe.

Effectively, though, it is a map of Germany as her borders were at that time, in extraordinary detail. The country is sub-divided into 39 (!) separate sections, and a small overview map and complete (30!!) indices are also available, all of which is able to be downloaded. It is a good couple of hours to download in total, but that is largely due to the number of maps, which have to be downloaded separately (as do the indices), and I have found it to be excellent for pinpointing towns near to where units were based, for example.

It is an old map which has been digitally scanned, I believe, and is readable using an appropriate version of Adobe reader. What I find great is the fact that you can view in 'dynamic' mode, and zoom in to an area whilst maintaining a fantastically clear level of detail, and most place-names are clearly legible.

As I say, not a WW2 map of European operations, but perhaps of use to you, and others, nonetheless. I hope you'll take a look at it...

Regards...

www.library.wisc.edu/etext/ravenstein
Old 14th March 2008, 03:39

Norbert Schuchbauer

Thank you both for the reply. Downloaded the charts, they are definately a start.

Norbert
Old 14th March 2008, 15:28

vzlion

Perhaps this would be of use: Deutschland Atlas 1937

http://home.scarlet.be/p.colmant/index.htm

Place names only now. The Atlas maps use to be available also. Since the site has recently moved they may show up later.

Walt
Old 15th March 2008, 05:16

Norbert Schuchbauer

Thank you Walt,
I do have this one.

Regards,

Norbert