Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th August 2014, 23:59
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
10./NJG 11 -- Me-262 related

This researcher has come across some unpublished material and plans to release a German language version next month, followed by an English translation. The material he has acquired is not exclusively Me-262 related.

http://www.chronicles-of-the-luftwaffe.de/?p=603

Ed

Last edited by Nick Beale; 25th August 2014 at 00:56. Reason: Fixed problem with link
Old 25th August 2014, 13:15

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 10./NJG 11 -- Me-262 related

Dear Ed,

Thanks for the link. The author is Andreas Zapf. Anyone know anything about him?

Regards,
Richard
Old 25th August 2014, 13:35

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Andreas Zapf is the son of Jürgen Zapf, retired director of the Luftwaffen Museum at Gatow (if I am correct) and also author of a wellknown series of airfield histories in each of the German states. I am grateful for the help Andreas has given in the recent past. He can be contacted via his website.

All the best, Marcel

Last edited by Marcel Hogenhuis; 25th August 2014 at 15:52.
Old 25th August 2014, 17:02

Dear Marcel,

Thank you for the information. I had wondered if he might be related to Jürgen, with whom I have corresponded in the past. I do have the first 6 volumes of his airfield books. I'm considering buying the rest, although they are rather pricey. As far as I know, the book on Bavaria has yet to be published. Obviously, as a center for Me 262 activity, this one would especially interest me.

The impression I get is that Andreas' effort on 10./NJG 11 will be on-line, rather than as a published work, which I would prefer. Do you know any more on the matter?

Regards,
Richard
Old 25th August 2014, 18:12

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road

OK, before things do get out of hands let me put this into perspective myself (and thank Marcel for his kind words!): as I tried to point out in my quoted post, I got my hands on some material from a different collection and some of that material was related to 10./NJG 11.

That did spark my initial interest, especially since my core focus area was covered by the two Flugbücher (flight logs) from Fw. Karl-Heinz Becker and Lt. Herbert Altner (both only fragments but covering their time with the jets).

There had also been some other bits and pieces, copies of documents (the third item attached to my initial post) and controversial discussions in old-fashioned mail (paper mail, that is ) showing that the topic of Kurt Welter, his claims, the history of the unit itself and many other things have been in discussion by well-known historians for a long time.

Now, getting down to the logs, I obviously looked up the "usual suspects" in literature just to find out (as many before me) that the story of 10./NJG 11 is told slightly differently depending where you look. I would not go as far as repeat some less friendly workings that I read elsewhere but it did spark the idea of gathering that information, relating it to sources and finding out what can be taken as "fact" and what needs to be treated as "interpretation".

So bottom line: I do not think that I have any piece of information that is new to experts - all I am trying to do is to gather information, relate it, sometimes draw conclusions (but mark them as that) and then put it up for discussion to correct & improve.

I am sure there are many pieces of the puzzle that will "proof" or "disqualify" bits and pieces here and there - and I am grateful for any corrections and addition. I was just getting tired of reading one part of the story here and then the same part differently there... this interesting small units deserves some attention after all...

Andreas

PS: This is neither a race (because I know at least two others teams that seem to have "new information") nor a competition for truth. This is merely an attempt to assemble information...
Old 25th August 2014, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger View Post
As far as I know, the book on Bavaria has yet to be published. Obviously, as a center for Me 262 activity, this one would especially interest me.

The impression I get is that Andreas' effort on 10./NJG 11 will be on-line, rather than as a published work, which I would prefer. Do you know any more on the matter?
Dear Richard,

first of all: "Bavaria" had to be split into two - there are too many airfields for one volume. Volume 8 has been published and is available, covering the North and East of Bavaria, the former Luftgau XIII. He is now preparing the next volume to cover the rest of the state

My efforts (as described in my previous post) are non-profit (which is nice because I do not have to coordinate with any publisher) and online (which is even nicer because it allows for quick corrections and additions as new information is sparked). The fact that it is currently in German language is merely because of a reviewer I wanted to include... it eliminates lingual misunderstandings between him and me.

Andreas
Old 25th August 2014, 22:06

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for taking so much time to answer my inquiries. I very much like your approach: to present the facts, note any interpretations as such, and invite additions and corrections.

Perhaps my friend Gordon Permann, who has been investigating this unit for years, will join in the discussion.

Does your father's volume 8 cover any of the airfields associated with Me 262 activity, or must I wait until volume 9?

Regards,
Richard
Old 4th October 2014, 14:05

Dear all,

although posted as a response to a different post on this forum, I thought I'd update this thread as well.

See www.chronicles-of-the-luftwaffe.de/?p=639

Andreas
Old 4th October 2014, 16:49

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Dear Andreas,

Excellent work! I enjoyed reading the posting on your website, and look forward to your document on Welter and 10./NJG 11 when it's done.

Regards,
Leon Venter
Old 23rd October 2014, 15:28

Update October 23rd: just to let you folks know where I stand (and why my time-lines slipped), here is an update posted. Special "Thanks!" to Rod Mackenzie for his help & support on this part of the data!

Andreas