Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th May 2019, 20:38

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Fw190 Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouidjat View Post
Hello SM,
All of this is absolutely correct.
Just a point: When you write "are made in Tufnol", are you saying "are" or "were"? In this instance other rings on Luftwaffe airplanes?
If so, another British product used by Germany during the WWII ?
Since it was and is British patented I'm quite surprised.
As for me I used Téflon(r) in Naval constructions and, later (more recently), German made cold mills for the same (generaly speaking) use.

For the curious, a very interested internet page:
http://ahistoryoftufnol.org/whatistufnol/index.html

Regards,
Franck.

Hi Franck!

Unfortunately, I am not able to be more specific about the material for the Haube ring described as "Gummi" in the VDM manual and as Bakelit by Peter. I would really expect the VDM description of "Gummi" to mean a rubber or Rubberised material. I think that this might have hardened to seem like a hard material now? I do have a sample that I might examine more closely. The Tufnol material is a UK sourced product but, I have Bf109 parts made in very similar fibre reinforced resin parts that are similar. Cheers

SM
Old 22nd May 2019, 00:41

miraul is on a distinguished road
Re: Fw190 Spinner

Hi all.
Few maybe interesting things in spinners theme.
first -inside ring is made,i think, from bakelite /on photos you can see
the umbrella.near is a number 118

sd-on the inside ring i was found number 9-12087.(..)-49.13 or 8
Best regards
Peter

Last edited by miraul; 30th November 2019 at 11:34.
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:08

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter,
Interesting. I think that we have already said that the individual components of the Haube can come from different original designs and with their earlier numbers, like the 12087 mounting plate that you showed. In the third picture here, I am seeing 9-12083 etc on both the mounting ring and the diaphram (bulkhead). The number on the diaphram is most interesting to me because that component is very specific to the shape and size of the Dome and so, the particular Haube. 9-12083.32 o .31 Haube is listed as the Haube for the Do217M/N . However, that Haube has a very different shape and is a 4-blade! Can you confirm which Haube has these numbers with pictures please?

Cheers

SM
Old 22nd May 2019, 17:36

miraul is on a distinguished road

Hi SM.
Yes exactly is 9-12083. ()1-49.13.my mistake

on the backplate is 9-12087.

As I said,i have few the same spinners( exactly the same). two of theme heve only upper side, this rings and backplate (rest corrosion destroyed) 4 in better condition. all of theme are from fw190. the place of found was werkstatt when made and repair only fw190. i was found with theme parts with numbers 9-801 (bmw) and 8-190 focke-wulf.and other
admittedly parts- like glasses or part of chassis fw.
probably they are only number of parts - not whole spinners
vdm number 9-12087 like in backlplate fw (6 first number ) are in bf190 propeller. 9-12083 like in this circle -on dornier . so they are only numbers of small parts of spinners. main numbers of this spinners were in nameplates but they did not survive. 9-12067 its can be probably numbers from this plates.
best regards
Peter