Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 9th March 2020, 16:23

rof120 is on a distinguished road
EOE - Eagles over Europe (project)

Very numerous enthusiasts were thrilled by the perspective of getting and reading these highly promising volumes on air war over Europe from September, 1939 through December, 1940: the aerial campaigns and fighting over Poland, the French-German border area ("Poney War" 1939-40), the Campaign in Scandinavia (April-May, 1940: Norway and Denmark too), the French Campaign (May-June, 1940) and the Battle of Britain (July-October, 1940) and its aftermath (November-December 1940)..

Unfortunately it seems that the whole project has been shelved (abandoned), much to our chagrin, especially mine.

As I already mentioned (near the end of the previous, very long EOE thread) it should be comparatively easy to publish whatever has materialized, in particular the English translation of the very large Weiss manuscript on 1940 Luftwaffe operations (written in German), and also thousands of fascinating photographs (there are 50,000 by now) as well as colour profiles and whatever the EOE team managed to write. I am a typital, average enthusiast myself and I am convinced that the production and release of such volumes would be profitable in any case. Just have a look at the thread I started on "French fighters' scores, mainly 1940" (Allied forum here) - a limited topic. Up till now there were over 7,700 views, and it's still going strong. $$$ here, this should not be neglected by Larry's publishing company and their EOE project.

Larry Hickey's publishing company was NOT idle in the last years. Until relatively recently there was only one existing (for sale) volume* in the "Eagles over the Pacific" series and a lot of projects and volumes being written. This has changed for today we can purchase no less than six (6) different, fascinating volumes. Here is the URL:

https://irandpcorp.com/about-ihra//

Here is an extract from the home-page:

"In Europe, through our Eagles Over Europe project, we have undertaken a massive effort to fully document the history of the first 16 months of the air war in Europe from September 1, 1939 to December 31, 1940. This includes the story of the participants and those effected by the action on all sides of the air war from the Polish Campaign, and continuing in the west through the so-called Phoney War (Sitzkrieg), the Scandinavian Campaign, the Western (French) Campaign, the Battle of Britain to well into “The Blitz.” This project utilizes many avenues of research not previously available for such an effort, networking many of the foremost authors, historians, researchers, photo collectors, artists, mapmakers and translators, currently from 14 different countries, into an informal group that will ultimately produce a massive and definitive, multi-volume series of books and e-publications covering both the human and technical side of the story of the air war in Europe during this period. To date, the members of the EoE project have assembled over 50,000 photos and acquired an immense collection of research data from which thousands of pages have been translated into English from source materials in the Polish, Norwegian, French, Dutch and German languages. For the German side of the air war, Larry has acquired and translated the most thorough and complete account ever compiled for that period, some 6000 pages in length, that has never before been published in any language." (…)

* Warpath Across the Pacific. It earned many excellent reviews and compliments to author Larry Hickey.

One of the newer volumes was released 2019,
another one 2016.

It would be nice to get an up-to-date "report" from Larry himself. He was very active here at TOCH for quite a few years. I'll contact him in any case.

"Usual disclaimer"

Last edited by rof120; 15th March 2020 at 17:34.
Old 18th March 2020, 21:35

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Air War 1939-1940: EOE - Eagles over Europe (project)

As you see I added an important piece of information to the title of this thread, namely "Air War 1939-1940".

The reason: very numerous new members and even more numerous NEW visitors are not aware of what all "old hands" know about EOE, Larry Hickey and his publishing company. New people, sometimes numerous ones, are added every day, others vanish… (C'est la vie - That's life).

No that war did not begin on 7 December 1941 but on 1 September 1939.

What part of the potential audience nowadays (in the 2010's and 2020's) is aware of this fact?

It was more than 2 years before PH. Thousands and thousands of Allied airmen died in air battles before the "day which will live in infamy".

I don't really know but I guess that many, many people out there in the world (USA, Australia, NZ and more countries) don't know anything, or precious little, about the air war over Europe, at least before PH, except probably the "purely English" Battle of Britain (July-September 1940)… in which foreign fighter pilots (about 20 %), mainly Poles and Czechs, fought with great distinction and very effectively. I guess, too, that people know even less or nothing on the air battles over Poland, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium and mainly France (with a significant British part), in which Germany's Luftwaffe lost slightly MORE AC in 38 days than in 83 days over Great-Britain - and of course these heavy losses inflicted to a Luftwaffe which thus was weakened played a part in the Battle of Britain.

Finally I feel that some of these interested persons "out there in the world" could find some (good) books on 1939-1940 air operations and combat a welcome change from the usual USAAF routine (mainly in the Pacific theater) - they put up a very good fight - and so did their ubiquituous B-17s, 24s, 25s, 29s and P-38s, 40s and 51s - operations which many know almost by heart (in part thanks to Larry Hickey's excellent books on PTO air operations), not to mention the grand job achieved by US Navy airmen.

EOE would bring something entirely new and very fascinating to many people in the whole world, not least in Europe of course. So let us cross our fingers.

Last edited by rof120; 20th March 2020 at 13:51.
Old 22nd April 2020, 01:33
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EOE - Eagles over Europe (project)

Hi,

FYI we just finished the research draft of Polish Campaign (more than 4000 pages). Now we are working on several parts of other campaignes.
Stay well.

Regards

Robert
Old 25th May 2020, 09:28

Hiwa hau Maka is on a distinguished road

Robert,

Thank you for the update, very much appreciated by us all, I'm sure.

Cheers
Old 25th May 2020, 12:35

Carl-Fredrik Geust

Reading the first posts in this thread I can not but wonder to which category the respected authors consider the Finnish-Soviet Winter war (30 November 1939 to 13 March 1940) to belong - if not "Eagles over Europe 1939-1941"??

During the Winter war the Finnish Air Force received aircraft deliveries and voluntary aviators from many European countries during this war, and an Anglo-French intervention force was taking off to Finland at the moment of signing the peace agreement!

However Finland fought virtually alone against the Soviet aggressor, which lost some 1000 aircraft and some 900 aviators (of which over 100 became POWs in Finland) in this short campaign, while Finnish air force losses amounted to 62 aircraft and 76 aviators (of which nine from Sweden, Denmark, Italy and Hungary).

Details (including a full list of the Soviet KIA and POW aviators) see my recent book Red Wings in the Winter War 1939-1940.
Old 25th May 2020, 18:10
Alter Hase

Hi Carl,

we decided to not include "Winter War" in our project.

Regards

Robert
Old 26th May 2020, 11:00

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

The advertising of your book on this thread was already close to the limits of decency but turning it into a political rant... That's unreal. Looking forward to be labelled as "Neo-Stalinist" as well.
Old 26th May 2020, 11:04
Alter Hase

Hi Carl,

This was not a political decision. We just don't have time and sources from Soviet side. How mamy years you must invest to produce such high level book on this subject? BTW I'm from Poland so better dead than red.

Regards

Robert
Old 26th May 2020, 16:12
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, calm it down, guys or we will close the thread. Political discussions like this have no place here.