Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th April 2016, 08:37

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe 1940 - IWM gun camera film. Recommended.

[quote=Clint Mitchell;216808]What's even more interesting is the second clip (No.51) of F/Sgt Franklin's Spitfire of No.65 Sqn seems to show what appears to be a Bf109 with rounded wing tips dated the 7 July 1940...

As has already been pointed out this is a No.79 Squadron Hurricane. 'Dimsie' STONES documented the facts of the matter in his autobiography (1990).
Old 7th April 2016, 09:48

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

Interesting, thank you Peter C! I doubt the pilot was too impressed about the incident!
Old 7th April 2016, 12:10

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

No, they were not. Their CO was killed in this action but if that was down to Spitfires or otherwise remains unconfirmed. Another Hurricane under attack appears in the FEARY combat footage (14.29) of 26 September 1940 although, apparently, he filed no claims.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:17

sidney is on a distinguished road

So... no Bf 109 F over Britain on 7 July 1940 after all? How strange.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:39

Yes silly me for thinking that that of all things a Bf109 with rounded wingtips would be flying around the UK in July 1940. Even after researching quite deeply into the operational use of the Bf109F by JG51 in the Autumn of 1940. However it would perhaps make another fantastical story which you could include in your next emblem booklet Sinisi?
Old 7th April 2016, 13:08

sidney is on a distinguished road

Clint, thank you for your kind note. It is Sinisa, not Sinisi.

Please spare me your arrogance here. Anything private you wish to address, please send me a PM, or e-mail, I will be happy to delete it without reading.

One has to start somewhere. Not everything was right in my "booklet", but there were some positives too.

I have spent past four years or so reviewing my inputs, communicating with people on the TOCH and elsewhere, and generally investing in my knowledge on the subject. I know that I will never be able to reach your intellectual highs, and lows, but still....

Otherwise, I remember you, vaguely, from the LEMB. You made some 6,000 posts, out of which approximately 3,000 were.. "Thank you, Peter! ". Yet, today you are one of the foremost experts on anything to do with the Luftwaffe, which is certainly marked improvement.

The future of this field of research belongs to you. Surely.

Sinisa
Old 7th April 2016, 13:27

Phil Lloyd is on a distinguished road

It's interesting how several of the clips appear to show the aftermath of the combat.
Willie Rhodes-Moorhouses' Ju88 attack on 16th July may show the luftwaffe crew in their dingy after the a/c has sunk. I guess he may have been out of ammo at this point and was using the remaining cine-film to confirm the kill (and not attacking the crew in the water).
Old 7th April 2016, 13:38

Post #16:

A bit hypocritical of you to speak of arrogance when taking into consideration your completely unwarranted, useless and sarcastic input in post #14 of this topic.

The discussion was flowing quite nicely concerning the issues of mistaken identity and friendly fire incidents during WW2 that these films have shown us.

I make no claim of being an expert in anything for the spectrum is too vast to adequately research in it's entirety during anyone's life time, but for the niches and areas that interest me I am quite content with what is being discovered on an almost daily basis.