Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 7th July 2023, 16:53
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
VOC-1 Okinawa

Based on the war diaries etc. this squadron claimed twenty kills (a tally does make this either twenty or twenty-one) flying against the Japanese and six German aircraft as a squadron supporting Operation Dragoon. One pilot scored against both German (flying an F6F) and Japanese aircraft (flying an FM-2).

In April 1945 they claimed ten kills, eight Vals and two Kates. At least two of the Vals were shot down on 28 April 1945, does anyone know when and by whom the others were claimed?

best regards

Keith
Old 7th July 2023, 23:13
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: VOC-1 Okinawa

Keith

Its all in the US Navy victory credit book by Frank O.
You also mix together VOF-1 and VOC-1. VOF-1 became VOC-1 on 18 Dec 1944.

VOF-1 was established on 15 Dec 1944 and claimed six victories against the Luftwaffe.

VOC-1 claimed 20 victories and 1 probable against the Japanese.

If nobody else answers 'who-claimed-what', send me a PM with your e-mail and I will scan the details for you.

Cheers
Stig
Old 8th July 2023, 10:17
Alter Hase

Thanks Stig. A scan would be gratefully received, my PM is on the way. Frank O's book has been on my most wanted list for a decade, and sadly unless the publishers relinquish their rights will still be there when I join Frank among the the choir invisible

According to their war diary VOF-1 and VOC-1 considered themselves the same unit and claimed the German aircraft as theirs for a cumulative tally of twenty-seven. As I mention at least one pilot flew with both units.

best regards

Keith
Old 8th July 2023, 12:11
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Yes Keith

I can imagine they still considered themselves the same unit, not bothering about what "officialdom"
tried to do....

Sent you an e-mail as a starter.
Will scan the relevant pages as soon as possible

Cheers
Stig
Old 8th July 2023, 13:05

twocee is on a distinguished road

VOF-1 began receiving TBMs in November 1944 and, to reflect the fact that it now operated both fighters and bombers, was redesignated VOC-1 on 18 December. There was no question of them being two separate units.
Old 8th July 2023, 22:27
Alter Hase

Yep. Two pilots claimed victories with both F6F and FM2 (i.e. German and Japanese aerial victories) and the c.o for VOF/VOC was LCdr Bringle.