Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 20th January 2017, 15:25

REDCAP50 is on a distinguished road
HUNDELGEM Crash of an Allied fighter plane in the year 1945

Hello Forum,

Whilst doing some local inquiries on the German He111P2 that went down in Hundelgem cfr http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...hlight=He111P2
a villager mentioned that an Allied fighter also went down there in the year 1945… unfortunately I have very little info on that accident:
Before crashing, the pilot bailed out but was killed whilst hitting a tree (one supposes that the chute did not open completely). The fighter plane itself lost both wings during the sliding between two trees and the engine of it ditched in the soft verge of the Beerlegemsebaan (N415).

One supposes that it was a RAF fighter, but we don’t have any proof of that: no picture of the crash, nor any piece of the wreckage has been discovered, until now. The local police station ( Gendarmerie) in Munkzwalm which assured the surveillance of the wreck, has been closed down since the Police Services in Belgium are been reformed, so it will be very difficult to discover any information about the crash!

I’m well aware that this info is absolutely not enough to do any profound research….. but I’m hoping for a “little” miracle ! Thank You all for ANY information.

Regards
Redcap50
Old 6th February 2017, 16:01

Re: HUNDELGEM Crash of an Allied fighter plane in the year 1945

Dear all,
pursuant intensive searches carried out by the secretary of the heritage group of Hundelgem, this report was found:

“On January 14, 1945 at approximately 13.50 hr. (German wintertime) in Hundelgem –
a small village near Ghent – a British pilot crashed with an English fighter (type unknown).
The pilot got out of the plane , but died since his parachute did not open.
I, at that time was a boy of 12 years old , got very impressed by that accident.
Local police pronounced the pilot’s name as John(ny) Waiters. It may well be that the name is incorrectly spelled. Few people at that time spoke English properly.
The body of the named soldier was recovered by British ground troupes. …. “

Perhaps this information could help clear up the mystery…thanks for any info
Regards
redcap50
Old 6th February 2017, 16:09
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road
Re: HUNDELGEM Crash of an Allied fighter plane in the year 1945

Have you checked this : http://www.flyingpencil.be/nl/publicaties/51 ?

ClinA-78
Old 7th February 2017, 08:12

Unhappy Re: HUNDELGEM Crash of an Allied fighter plane in the year 1945

Good morning Nicolas,
indeed I have checked this already, but there's really little information about what happened …as I allready said: I hope on info from experts here
TIA
Greetings
redcap