Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd February 2007, 16:50

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point
Major Werner Christie 234Sqdn

I know that in 2005 there was a thread here about the markings of Christie’s a/c especially when he was a Lt/Col Wing Leader.

On 21 December 1944 Major Christie was posted as CO of 234Sqdn at Bentwaters and he served in that role for a short time until 10 February 1945. There is a photo in the 234Sqdn archive showing Christie standing by the rear fuselage of a Mustang III coded AZ*Z the serial is not in shot. Logbook entries for other 234Sqdn pilots at this time indicate that AZ*Z was FB344 and the ORB confirms that Christie flew this a/c most frequently.

Does anybody know anything more about the markings of this a/c were they standard RAF? Did Christie use the S/Ldrs pennant on the fuselage? Is there any evidence that Christie used the Norwegian national colours on his a/c spinner?

Thanks for any help

Steve

Last edited by SteveB; 24th February 2007 at 11:01.
Old 24th February 2007, 19:08

Stein Meum
Re: Major Werner Christie 234Sqdn

According to Christie's Log Book,FB344 was AZ-Z.Many RAF Sqns used letters X-Y-Z for "A"-,"B"-Flight leaders and Sqn Ldr respectively,hence Werner's frequent flights in this machine.
He also flew FB192-H,FZ124-N and KH483-J.He also flew several non-operational flights in AZ-F.These were not entered in the ORB therefore no serial number for this one.Anyone out there with a likely serial number?

When I interviewed Werner some years ago,he mentioned that he always used a red spinner on his Mustangs.He never used the Norwegian colours on his spinner when flying with an ordinary RAF Sqn,i.e. not one of the "Norwegian" ones.He used the Wing Leader's pennant when commanding the 2 Mustang Wings,so I would find it natural that he would have used the Sqn Leaders pennant at 234 Sqn.One photo of a 234 Sqn Mustang shows the A/C letter duplicated on top of the tailfin.Werner could not remember whether any of his planes featured the same.

Stein
Old 25th February 2007, 15:39

Stein

Thanks very much for sharing your research.

I have AZ*F as FZ169.

As you will know Christie was followed as CO 234Sqdn by S/Ldr J E 'JAS' Storrar and he took over KH483/AZ*J as his personal a/c. When Storrar was CO of 65Sqdn he flew a Spitfire IX coded YT*JAS (with the 'A' and the 'S' about half the size of the 'J') it would be very interesting to find out whether he had something similar on his Mustang!

Thanks again
Steve
Old 25th February 2007, 16:19

Stein Meum

Thanks for the serial!
I just realized he also flew AZ-O on a nightflight."Nice A/C for night flying" was his entry in the logbook.Have you got a likely candidate for this one,too?

JAS also followed Christie as Wingco Flying of the Hunsdon Wing and his Mustang there was very colourful,as well,contrary to Christie who had little interest in special schemes and markings on his A/C.Am pretty sure these were "Jas" both of them.

Stein
Old 26th February 2007, 18:11

I don't have any record of AZ*O. I have a number of tie ins for Mustang AZ*Q during the Christie period and this a/c was FZ160. I don't think it is very common for sqdns to use both 'Q' and 'O' as code letters at the same time. The other possibility at this time is AZ*D which was FX933.

Steve
Old 28th February 2007, 03:57

Tom Semenza

Stein,

Christie claimed an Ar 96 on 9 February 1945 while leading 234 Sqn. Can you tell me which Mustang III he was flying for this claim?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 28th February 2007, 05:40
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Tom,

Mustang III FB344

Frank.
Old 28th February 2007, 21:37

Tom Semenza