Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th March 2007, 22:33

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough
Exclamation LuftwaffeData Wiki

Guys,

The LuftwaffeData Wiki is "up and running" . If this is posted in the wrong forum can Ruy or the Moderators move it please.

It contains a number of new articles and some transfered from the original LuftwaffeData site.

The url is http://www.wiki.luftwaffedata.co.uk/....php/Main_Page

The idea behind this Wiki is to create an organic site that we, the members, can grow with contributions on the Luftwaffe subjects that interest us all. The beauty behind the Wiki principle is that the site can be "self moderating" (I hope).

To edit pages on the site you have to be logged in. To obtain a log-in you will have to contact me.

Please note that the intention behind the Wiki is to share information about the Luftwaffe in an objective manner.

The main headings so far created are:-

Operations
Unit Histories
Unit Codes
Airfields
Glossary

Each of these headings have some posts associated with them - you can help create more.

If you wish to assist in the editing of this site please contact me via e-mail or pm.

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 16th November 2008, 18:17

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough
Re: LuftwaffeData Wiki

Well, here is an update approx 18 months after the original post.

The Wiki site continues to grow, although not as a fast a rate as I had hoped.

There are now 72 articles of varied length under the Unit Hirstory Category including two recent ones provided by Larry deZeng.

The Operations category contains a number of articles including ones on the Demyansk transport operations, those supporting the besieged troops in Budapest and others

The Glossary contains approx 280 entries to which I continue to add items.

For those with an RSS reader or browser that can handle RSS feeds (such as Opera) here is the link to the LuftwaffeData Wiki RSS feed -

Links from the Wiki site will take you to the Aufkl.Gr 122 site and the supporting Forum.

Once again, a plea - If anyone wishes to become a contributor to the Wiki providing articles, "potted" unit histiories, amendments and corrections, please contact me via e-mail or PM from this board.

Many thanks

Andy Mitchell

Old 28th December 2008, 18:13

Guys,

I am please to announce that some further pages have been added to the Airfields section of the Luftwaffedata Wiki, these cover the following airfields:-

Agram-Gorica

Agram-Lucko

Agram-Pleso

Agram-Stadt

The detailed notes, and references, for these airfileds have been kindly supplied by Larry deZeng IV from his archives.

Andy Mitchell

Old 28th December 2008, 21:11

Tomislav Haramincic is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: LuftwaffeData Wiki

Thank you Andy for this notice!
And a big thanks to Larry of course, for his efforts!
Old 7th February 2009, 13:30

Guys,

A brief update.

Signed up with my host for a further two years. (This covers the Wiki, Forum and the Aufkl.Gr 122 sub site).

Many updates have taken place on the Wiki including extra entries in the Glossary and Airfileds pages.

On the Unit history side can I direct you to a growing page being edited by Chris Royston, that on SG 10

Remember all contributions to the content are welcome.

Andy Mitchell

Old 6th January 2010, 19:37

Guys,

Greetings from a snowy and cold UK - fortunately I am on annual leave so ridiculous journeys to and from work have not had to be made (yet...).

A further, overdue, update on the wiki

Glossary - Now contains well over 1000 entries.

Airfields - more entries added, now over 100 airfields referenced, with many, many, more to go. Will also add Tatoi and Eleusis in the near future.

Place Names - new page added (today) - This page will contain links to documents relating to German Place Names for towns, and topographical features, that were:-

1. Originally German and now located in other countries. e.g. Poland.

Or

2. Related to German minorities located in other sovereign nations.

Or

3. German Names for towns etc in occupied territory.

Documents

The first document, in the form of a filtered spreadsheet, describes the Place Names of territory given up by Germany following defeat in 1945. This principally deals with towns in East Prussia, Brandenburg, Silesia, Poznan, Pomerania and West Prussia.
More items will be added in the future.

Navigation Aids - page/section added a short while ago to showcase the work of Ronald van Riet covering the Knemeyer Dreieckrechner, the British Bygrave Position Line Slide Rule and its German descendants HR1, MHR1 and HR2 used during WWII.

Downloads - this contains all of the old items and still has Andy Fletcher's magnificent DKiG database, together with additional links to Ronald's navigation aids.

Lastly, an appeal - over the last few years contributions, in the form of articles and editing, have been provided by a number of generous individuals, but....
Help is always needed for the following sections - Unit Histories, Operations, Glossary, Airfileds and Place Names.(Please PM me if you are interested)
Also, if anyone has any articles that they feel would sit well on the Wiki please contact me.

Many thanks

Andy Mitchell

Old 7th January 2010, 01:22

chuckschmitz is on a distinguished road

Any thought on a photo section where members can post photos from their collections?
Old 7th January 2010, 10:53

Chuck,

To be honest I hadn't given that much thought as I would have to put in place a vetting procedure for the images / users.

There would also need to be a clear hierarchy for the image pages, a naming convention for the files, notes included for each image etc.

I had considered setting up a set of pages relating to monochrome images of unit emblems to give users a reference point when trying to identify unit insignia. See the Aufkl. Gr 122 page - http://www.luftwaffedata.co.uk/wiki/...2_Unit_Emblems as an example.

Andy Mitchell

Old 22nd April 2012, 23:06

Guys,

Just a brief update on the Luftwaffedata sites.

Luftwaffedata Wiki -

1.New pages on KG.z.b.v.1 content very kindly provided by Larry deZeng.

2. New and updated pages on the following airfields:-

Arys-Rostken, Aschersleben, Lüben, Kamenz, Liegnitz, Bissel, Gerdauen, Bad Vöslau, Ballenstedt, Barth, Böblingen, Aslau, Asbach/Eudenbach, Bracht (this last item again kindly provided by Larry deZeng.)

3. The searchable Glossary now contains over 1200 entries.

As always if anyone has any articles that they feel would sit well on the Wiki, of wish to contribute to the Airfield, Unit Histories or Glossary categories, please contact me by e-mail from the board.

History of Aufklgr.122 - a number of updates to the Diary pages for 1943 (Jan,Feb, Mar, Apr and May).

Andy Mitchell

Old 22nd April 2012, 23:12

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Thank you Andy for such a great site, now even better!! And thanks also to Larry for his contribution.