Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th October 2015, 00:00
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking photos of top wing 71 patches on solid 02 upper wings and tail surfaces of I./ZG52 - II./ZG2 a/c during WC/BoB

Hello,

For the EoE Project we're trying to render accurately a color profile of the a/c of Maj. Harry Carl, the Gr Kdr of II./ZG2, killed in a crash in France on 16.08.40, while returning from combat over the Chanel. We've became aware that when the 70/71/65 Bf110 paint jobs initially used (factory color scheme) were replaced about 04.40 with a heavily mottled fuselage, with 71/02 segments and patches, that we had almost no photos showing this new patch effect on the top of the wings and tailplane. There is a fairly fuzzy color photos of three a/c, including A2+BB, in flight from a distance, but this doesn't really show clearly the kind of pattern that was used. We think now that the top wings carried large RLM71 (dark green) patches over a solid 02 color rather than a splinter, or mottled effect. Does anyone have other photos, including B & W that clearly show the top wing/tail surfaces of I./ZG52 - II./ZG2 a/c carrying this new patchy scheme of 71/02 on these surfaces? Who can help confirm the type of pattern used?

Thanx for any help you can provide.
Old 4th October 2015, 13:17

KennyK404 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking photos of top wing 71 patches on solid 02 upper wings and tail surfaces of I./ZG52 - II./ZG2 a/c during WC/BoB

Very interested in pics of such individual paint jobs!