Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th August 2019, 17:37

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Lake or sea

Nick is right and he explained this perfectly.

Mind the pronunciation, never say "sea" (as in English) for See, which in both cases is pronounced "Zay".

Yes this is a permanent trap for non-German speakers (and readers). Why this same word is used for both all lakes and all seas (often oceans) in the world I don't know. Possibly language experts have answered this question long ago. I can imagine that the word is extremely old and appeared almost at the same time* as people in old antique Germany, and they didn't care if the water expanse they saw was a lake or a sea… (?). No warranty, "usual disclaimer".

* Like other words which I assume are very old, like Wasser, Holz, Feuer, Wolf, Bär, essen and many more. (Water, wood or timber, fire, wolf, bear, to eat…)

PS : der See, die See, das Meer. Here we can use all three German genders and none is jealous. "Das Meer" is the same as "die See" and they pronounce it "das Mayr".

Last edited by rof120; 16th August 2019 at 17:55. Reason: Adding "das Meer"
Old 16th August 2019, 18:18
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: LW casualties 4 July 1943

Language is like that. The German and Polish word for roof, dach, is spelled the same. American English is full of examples. When I asked a linguist friend of mine to explain the rules for the use of die, der, den, and das, he said it was arbitrary. A sort of make it up on your own. I found this answer to be very unsatisfactory. But then I can't explain High German, Low German and Plattdeutsch.
Old 18th August 2019, 18:37

RolandF is on a distinguished road
Re: LW casualties 4 July 1943

There is a difference,
Über See means "over sea" without closer description of the area (Nordsee, Ostsee, Ärmelkanal etc.)
"Over lake" is always connected with the name of the lake (Bodensee, Chiemsee, Ammersee, Garda-See etc.)

Regards
RolandF