Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 27th July 2022, 16:46
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Royal Naval Air Service or Fleet Air Arm- Which?

Can anyone kindly say what the difference was between RNAS & FAA and relating to WW2 Naval Operations, and say which is technically correct.

I know that the RNAS & RFC joined togetgher to form the RAF on 1st April 1918 and that the Air Ministry took over the administration of carrier based aircraft as well as catapult aircraft, with Flying Boats separately under RAF Coastal Command.

So I understand the name Fleet Air Arm was an RAF term but used anyway (ever since it seems) so was the post 24th May 1939 FAA called the RNAS again?
Old 27th July 2022, 18:02

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
Re: Royal Naval Air Service or Fleet Air Arm- Which?

As far as I can tell the term RNAS was not used post 24 May 1939. The FAA was used and I believe is still used.
Old 27th July 2022, 21:10

twocee is on a distinguished road

According to the 1943 HMSO publication "Fleet Air Arm", The RNAS disappeared in 1918 when it merged with the RFC to form that RAF.

In 1924 a new branch of the RAF was formed, the Fleet Air Arm, which was placed under the operational control of the Navy. In 1938 the Navy gained full control of what has ever since been the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy.
Old 30th July 2022, 14:06
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

So its only been used as RNAS for Royal Naval Air Station and as and example No.784 NAS - 784 Naval Air Squadron - but without the Royal.

Incidentally, I have subsquently read that in May 1939, when the RN got command of the FAA it was called the Air Branch of the RN, but as everyone carried on calling it the Fleet Air Arm, it was officially changed to match - but no date was given in my source.
Old 30th July 2022, 16:58
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
So its only been used as RNAS for Royal Naval Air Station and as and example No.784 NAS - 784 Naval Air Squadron - but without the Royal.
They still use Royal Naval Air Station in the full title of the airfields at Yeovilton (which also houses the FAA Museum) and Culdrose.