Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th October 2008, 16:06

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road
Horst Metzbrand KIA March 2nd 1945

Hello,
Based on O'Donnels "Production Log" Horst Metzbrand was shot down on Me 262 March 2nd 1945.
Does anybody know details?
Who shot him down?
Location where he was KIA?

Baes on same source Lt. Heinz Grätz had an emergency landing(belly landing) in the area of Dillingen dated Feb. 24th 1945.
Same questions as above.
Does anybody knows details?
Searching also for the exact lacation.

Thanks in advance
Rolf
Old 5th October 2008, 21:50

CENTURION is on a distinguished road
Re: Horst Metzbrand KIA March 2nd 1945

Hello Rolf,

according to "Me 262", volume III by R. Smith and E. Creek, Horst Metzbrand, of the 13./EKG 1 based at Neuburg am Donau, was shot down by Lt. Theodore W. Sedvert - 353rd FS, 354th FG, south of Dillingen, while on a training flight.
Based on an operation report, "Lt. Sedvert dove to tail of e/a and fired a three-second burst at 100 feet from astern, hitting e/a in fuselage, right engine, and cockpit. Pilot observed leaving cockpit, his clothes in tatters. Pilot's chute failed to open and e/a was seen to crash."

According to "The Messerschimt Me 262 Combat Diary" by J. Foreman and S. Harvey, Lt. Heinz Grätz of the 13./EKG 1, crashed at Neuburg because of technical failure.

Regards
Marco
Old 6th October 2008, 08:59

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

What I found during my research on topic and also wrote in my book "An Ordinary Day in 1945" [http://mmpbooks.biz/books/8389450224/8389450224p.htm] dealing with air combat in Europe on March 2, 1945:

Encounters between 9th AF Mustangs and Me262s were also becoming more and more frequent. In the morning Capt. James P. Keane led a formation of 16 P-51s to the Dieburg area. For the 353 FS this was the first operation during March. The fighter sweep resulted in four damaged and one destroyed locomotive and 66 damaged railway cars of various kinds. During the mission, at 09.15 Lt Cary announced over the radio a train south of Dillingen. 1/Lt Theodore W. Sedvert from the 353 FS 354 FG dived in his P-51 to attack the locomotive. But as soon as he emerged from clouds, much to his surprise he saw an Me262 flying ahead and below. From his superior height he held behind the enemy and with one three-second burst hit the Messerschmitt’s fuselage, starboard engine, and cockpit area. The pilot of the Messerschmitt dropped his canopy, but due to the low altitude the German pilot was not able to bale out. He decided to force-land, but upon touch-down the damaged machine exploded, killing the pilot. On 2 March 1945 the Luftwaffe lost in that area Me262A-1a W.Nr.110655 from I/EKG(J) 1, and its pilot Ofhr. Horst Metzbrand was killed. It seems certain that it was Ofhr. Metzbrand who fell prey to Lt Sedvert. The leader of the sweep, Capt. James P. Keane, claimed destruction of a German Fw44 at 10.00 in the area of Illesheim aerodrome. German records mentioned the loss of the Fw44 W.Nr.2953 from I/EKG (J), but the name and fate of the pilot is not known.

Hope this helps: Best regards

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 11th October 2008, 10:46

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road

Marco, Peter, thanks a lot.
I'm still struggeling which Dillingen is meant because in Germany there are 2 cities called Dillingen. Are there coordinates as well in the claim reports? Or other info which help to identify the correct Dillingen. One Dillingen is in Bavaria close to river Danube. The other one is about 350km north west at river Saar.
Thanks in advance
Rolf
Old 11th October 2008, 15:20

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

in my post I mention also Illesheim and Dieburg area. Does it match to one of the Dilingens you are looking for?

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"