Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th March 2018, 04:19

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough
Re: Me 262 identification and unusual features

Actually, 500259 most likely shot down a P51, and was NOT shot down by one.
This is the type of discussion I truly enjoy. So many little pieces start coming together to make a picture!
Thank you Masmar, and every one else; every sentence presented helps!
Old 9th March 2018, 04:26

Mathias, I don't believe I've seen these document types before, thank you. On Page 2, are those the last three digits of WNr on the far left side? Your interpretation of the document would be extremely helpful. Thank you!
Old 9th March 2018, 11:18

RolandF is on a distinguished road

If the photograph was really taken at Vilseck, you have to notice this:
In the background you can see the railway track which is leading via Weiden/Neustadt to the Mtt production site Flossenbürg/Altenhammer. There, production of the Bf109K-4 was under way and the production of the Me262 in preparation. The depicted Bf109 may be part of a batch intended for assembly at Vilseck-Heringnohe. Additionally, a Zerlegebetrieb was recycling Bf109 wrecks for re-usable parts. So why not damaged Me262s in preparation of future jet production?
The photo seems to be taken at the triangle, where the tracks supplying Vilseck-Heringnohe a/f veers from the main railway tracks Nürnberg-Weiden. Those tracks have been dismantled after the war. Obviously the aircraft parts had been stowed on stake cars and had been removed to create space for other military transports.
The train visible in the background may be the key to understand the situation. You can see military equipment - whether it´s Wehrmacht or US forces is not distinguishable.

Regards
RolandF
Old 9th March 2018, 14:31

masmar is on a distinguished road

Hi Dan,

you're welcome. Please find enclosed the same documents for the further aircraft. In the top right corner you find the Part number (Me 609 for the Regensburg built 262), than a commision number and under that the Werk-Nr.

Page one contains some information on the technical condition. The left column on page two is the modification list. Unfortunately I dont have the matching document which might tell us what kind of modifications were undertaken for each entry. But it seems that they did a lot

Kind regards

Matthias
Old 10th March 2018, 03:16

Most interesting, thank you Matthias! It still amazes me that there is still so much to learn after 70 years!
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:38

JonOlsen88 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, so the Me 262 in the foreground appears to be w.nr. 110662 9k+LL. Very cool! However, I'm still wondering about something...even though the aircraft's individual letter (the big L) does indeed appear to be white, the staffel letter has been identified as an L. Wouldn't the second L indicate the 3rd staffel and 1 Gruppe? If so, shouldn't the individual letter be yellow rather than white? I'm just trying to make sense of the chart from http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/markings.html. I often refer to it when I'm unsure about unit markings and gruppe/ staffel colors. Thoughts?

Tags
me 262, messerschmit, vilseck, wellenmuster