Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th March 2005, 19:30

RadarArchive is on a distinguished road
aircraft data plates

I have a few data plates from a Heinkel He 111 which were given to me by a friend and I’m trying to identify the specific aircraft if possible. I have no details from my friend and wondered if the following are sufficient to identify it:

Typ HE 111
F.Nr. LK 1414 R
Abn. 11 38

Typ HE 111
F.Nr LK 1506L
Abn. 12 38

If anyone can provide any details of which He 111 these plates came from, I would be deeply grateful.
Old 16th March 2005, 22:24

David Ransome
Re: aircraft data plates

Hi,

On the face of it these are component part plates possibly licence built for Heinkel, if you could supply scans of the actual plates it may prove useful. The numbers may be part nos therefore and not aircraft WNrs.

If they are WNrs : 1414 was a Dornier built P-2 (c. Oct 1938, 30% damaged 29 May 1941 at Avord whilst with IV/KG27) and 1506 was a Heinkel built B-1 (B-1s in the same batch were produced between 1936 and 1938).

Hope this helps!

David
Old 17th March 2005, 09:21

David,

Thanks very much for your post. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner so I have no way to post images of the plates.

I can confirm that these numbers are part numbers and not Werk Nummers. Each plate has space for four serial numbers; these are the three I've given above plus the Werk Nr which in both cases is blank.

I can also confirm that they are not from a Dornier, by virtue of the type being stated on the plates as an He 111.

The only other information given on them is the manufacturer's details: [Heinkel logo] Heinkel-Werke G.m.b.H. Oranienburg Lizenz E.H.F.

I appreciate there is no easy answer, but I wondered if there is any way to tie these part numbers in to a specific aircraft.
Old 17th March 2005, 11:48

David Ransome

Hi,

Thanks for that. My reference to Dornier was that referring to a He111 that was built under licence by Dornier.

Regrettably I think, after you confirmed my thoughts re Component plates, anyone would be very hard pushed to even make a guess as to which aircraft they came from without any other information!

Do you have any more information on where the plates may have been found, for instance?

Sorry that I can't be of more assistance.

Regards

David
Old 17th March 2005, 15:10

I believe they may have come from an RAF airman based at Drem in Scotland, but where he got the plates from I don't know.
Old 18th March 2005, 18:58

Yves Marino

Hi guys!
Abn. is not a number but a date, from "Abnahme" (something like controlled & approved at that time) so the parts are manufactured in November/December 1938.
L & R could be "Links" & "Rechts" (left & right) so these eventually are plates from symmetrical parts - this is my speculation.
I have a wing plate from an Arado Ar 196, built in 1942, but no left or right position is indicated.
I saw a list of German a/c parts on the web with indications like LK etc., but I don't know where anymore. Sorry.
Old 19th March 2005, 12:53

David Ransome

Hi Yves,

You are correct with 'Abnahme' and also with the L and R. On a data plate for the whole aircraft it would show WNr and other details. sometimes an R might appear after the aircraft WNr - this refers to 'Reparatur' or repair.

Regardsd

David
Old 22nd March 2005, 23:05

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road

Yves,

Please contact me off board at my e-mail:

sfp54@aol.com

I have a data plate question for you.

Thank you,
Steve