Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th June 2022, 21:52

ZhekaB is on a distinguished road
I./SG3 Comannders: Smikalla and Glaser in 1945

Probably someone will be interested in the following information about commanders of I./SG3 in March, 1945 from testimony of captured pilot unteroffizier Hans Tiller. Among other things he showed that the commander of I./SG 3, Hauptmann Smala (it is in document, correct probably should be Hauptmann Heinrich Smikalla), was shot down in the middle of March 1945 and his place was taken by Hauptmann Glaser, the former commander of 3./SG 3. In addition, Tiller said that the group had been based in Heilingbeil (in March) and then flown to Groß Dirkstein (in April), there it was subordinated to III./JG 51, but had no missions from this airfield. They flew to Neuheindorf and then the 4 remaining aircraft flew to Germany. Part of the flying staff was also evacuated there by submarine.
In Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries there is no notes that Smikalla was downed also no notes that Glaser (Alexander?) was commander of I./SG3 for a month. But it is not absolutely because it is also possible that Tiller (or may be Tischler) gave wrong information.
Old 21st June 2022, 23:05

Kapper is on a distinguished road
Re: I./SG3 Comannders: Smikalla and Glaser in 1945

ZhekaB

Hptm Smala would be Hptm Rudolf Smola who was KIA 27/3/45
Hptm Glaser would be Hptm Gerhard Glaser (not Alexander Glaser) who was a member of I./SG3 at around that time.

Hptm Smola was Kammandeur for a short period - coming from IV./SG151 probably sometime after Hptm Heinz Topfer was POW 19/2/45

Both are mentioned in the Officer Database

Regards

Craig...
Old 23rd June 2022, 22:02

ZhekaB is on a distinguished road
Re: I./SG3 Comannders: Smikalla and Glaser in 1945

Thank you, Karper for your correction!
Both my supposion were wrong ) I was confused by http://ww2.dk/air/attack/sg3.htm where mentioned that Smikala as Commander of I./SG3 but not mentioned Smola at all. And what were the odds that in one Group could be two Haupm with the same surname )