Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th June 2022, 19:41
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road
GQM help

Seeking help with a name on GQM dated 2nd-Aug.1941 page 4 what is the full name and the unit for the Batterie-Chef Oblt Hans-Christoph ?? reported as missing with his men on 21st May . I believe the losses inccured with the sinking of ship 101 off Crete ,

Brian Bines
Old 30th June 2022, 00:09
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough
Re: GQM help

Hello Brian,

the name is Obltn Hans-Christoph Becker von Sothen, unit: Fallschirm-Artillerie-Abteilung.

Regards
Leo
Old 30th June 2022, 14:37
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road
Re: GQM help

Hello Leo

Thanks for the info. on von Sothen I was able to look him up on the Luftwaffe Officers Careers and saw he was picked up by the Royal Navy and made a POW . I had not realised till I saw the GQM report that Luftwaffe paras were on the convoy . I had heard the story of the attack on the Maleme convoy in a rather blood thirsty account when I was a kid from an uncle who was on one of the attacking destroyers he gave the impression all of the Caiques/Vessels were sunk with few survivors . Later while in BAOR I got matey with a former Fallschirmjager the landlord of a gasthaus who gave an angry view on the action of the Navy in attacking the men in the water . There is an online account of the attack 'The German Convoys to Crete' by Aris Bilatis which identifies S101 as a steel hulled vessel set on fire by a British bomb ('shell'?)
I see Capitan Mimbelli of the Italian torpedo boat Lupo got a medal for his attempts to defend the convoy and for picking up survivors ,

Regards
Brian Bines