Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th March 2012, 09:33

68 Sqn is on a distinguished road
Crash Beaufighter 255 Sqn RAF

Hi all,

I would like to ask if anybody could provide me more information about crash Beaufighter from 255 Sqn RAF. The accident occurred 16.10. 1941. Crew: pilot F/Sgt BARKER Walter (748632) - obs. Sgt VARLEY Tom (977495) - killed.
Regards
Pavel (68Sqn)
Old 28th March 2012, 10:01

Atcham Tower is on a distinguished road
Re: Crash Beaufighter 255 Sqn RAF

Pavel
All I know is that R2377 of 255 Sqn crashed in the sea off Happisburgh, Norfolk 16 Oct 1941.
Dave
Old 28th March 2012, 11:11

68 Sqn is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave,
Thanks a lot for lightning information.
Regards
Pavel (68Sqn)
Old 11th April 2012, 21:15

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcham Tower View Post
Pavel
All I know is that R2377 of 255 Sqn crashed in the sea off Happisburgh, Norfolk 16 Oct 1941.
Dave
The only other addition is that the RAF claimed the reason was obscure.

According to the 1941 RAF King's Reg's paragraph 743 'Investigation of Accidents', any obscure reason would have to be reported to the AIB (Accidents Investigation Branch) for investigation.

I note quite a few Beaufighter losses being given as "obscure".

One general observation (and I'm not claiming this with your particular crash), was that, later in 1943 the A & AEE were asked to solve a problem with compass deviation relating to the Pilot's Compass on the Beaufighter.

Perhaps some Beaufighters were attempting to land and not where they thought they were?

Others were seen to be diving, or losing height and not recovering or flattening out, suggesting possible airframe / control loss / control surface failure, or defect?

Do you have the AM 1180 'Flying Accident Card' photocopy and what letter and number groups are in the 'Cause' box (including those crossed out)?

Mark
Old 11th April 2012, 22:21

rafcommands is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark

F9

Instrument, Loss of Control

Regards
Ross
Old 12th April 2012, 13:46

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road

Hello Ross

"F 9" Cause is "Unknown or not yet determined" by the RAF.

This would have definitely been referred to the AIB. Because if the RAF had come to a finding finally, they would have struck "F 9" out and replaced it with another RAF Cause grouping, although many accidents were still referred to the AIB anyway for various reasons, including epidemic accidents for opinion and further investigation, or advice.

The Air Ministry / RAF Secretariat S.4. (S.4. was a Statistics Branch) compiling RAF Flying Accident Statistical Reports, on a Monthly Review basis. I suspect the RAF Flying Accident Cards were originally held in the S.4. Branch, or S.4. had access to the AM 1180 Cards.

The AIB had their own separate Card indexing system in WW 2 beginning with a 'W' or a 'U' numbered index with a filing reference and cross reference to the RAF Accident File number usually beginning with an A (but sometimes a 'P'), as I managed to get an AIB 'U' Index Card.

Unfortunately, the AIB were allowed to destroy their correspondence ten years after creation, according to a post-war Destruction Schedule I have found. It seems that many AIB reports were destroyed by 1950, which is a shame because an A.I.B. Inspector's opinion took precedence at an RAF Court of Inquiry, according to RAF King's Regs.

Back to the Beaufighter, the comments about instrument, loss of control (which I suspected in my last post) was either possibly an RAF suggestion as to the the cause (because the RAF were saying "undetermined", or likely what the AIB suggested as possible causes or opinions.

Mark

Last edited by Observer1940; 12th April 2012 at 15:02. Reason: Removed references to AVIA 5/19
Old 12th April 2012, 14:10

rafcommands is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark,

The AVIA 5/19 etc at the TNA are a transfer of personal reference files from Vernon Brown and his inspectors.

That is why the pages are summary and incomplete. Think of them as a ready reference file used by those officers rather than the department archives.

As you say the full archive files were not saved but the full index file of incidents investigated by the AIB is:

Card Index from 1918 to the 1970s is archived in AVIA 126

This will tell you if they were called to investigate an accident

But getting back to the Beaufighter they were not and both Cause boxes were filled in F9 crossed out and in the box below F9 entered and ticked.

Regards
Ross