Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th June 2016, 16:22

CaptainAficionado is on a distinguished road
surviving veteran fighter pilots

I am currently working on a personal project where I am compiling information about the Allied and Axis fighter forces during WW2. Part of this is for a novel I am working on, part of it is to help a couple of writing friends who are also working on their own novels but are too busy to do large amounts of research. I need to know if and/or where I can contact some veteran fighter pilots who served in the Luftwaffe during WW2. Since the passing of four quite well known fighter pilots in recent months, I have now realised that time is not a luxury I have, and with the number of veterans dwindling every day, I'm in a bit of a hurry to find these men and gather the information I need before they are all gone.

Here is a list I have been given of former Luftwaffe pilots who are, as far as I can tell, still alive, although I have received unconfirmed notification that three of them may be deceased:

Willi Reschke
Hans Stollnberger (apparently deceased but TBC)
Karl-Heinz Wilke (apparently deceased but TBC)
Peter Spoden
Heinz Roekker
Guenther Wegmann
Helmut Lennartz
Hugo Broch
Gerhard Krems
Horst Hermann (apparently deceased but TBC)
Armin Faber
Guenther Bierbauer
Karl-Heinz Becker
Kurt Dahlmann

I checked on Wikipedia and found that these men are either Knights Cross recipients, or have gained notability for some other reason such as being among the first to fly the ME262.

I would like to know how I can contact either these men listed above, or any other German fighter pilots lucky enough to have survived the war. Whether or not they are aces or highly decorated is not important, as long as they flew for the Luftwaffe.

Because my friends and I are writers, we will need plenty of detail about the daily lives of fighter pilots and all the various protocols and procedures they followed. Books like "I flew for the Fuhrer", "The Blond Knight of Germany" and "A Higher Call" have been very useful, but there are still many gaps in our collective knowledge, and nothing can compare to sitting down and interviewing (or at least writing to) the men who were actually there. It is also preferable that the men I contact have a good enough memory to be able to share their experiences.

Any leads at all would be appreciated.

Last edited by CaptainAficionado; 18th June 2016 at 13:21.
Old 17th June 2016, 17:06
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: surviving veteran fighter pilots

Dahlmann was not a fighter pilot per se & I believe that Faber is no longer with us. I feel that with most being in their 90s & contacted many times before, you might not be lucky
Old 18th June 2016, 01:18

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

What Chris said, I contacted many 'Alte Adler' decades ago for research purposes, and many back then were less than enthused to have to deal with correspondence.
Old 20th June 2016, 08:06
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi

I agree with Chris, though more so about their age, they are all in their nineties. Lennartz(none RK) died 24th February 1990. Becker(none RK) died 24th April 2006. Regarding Peter Spoden(none RK) he is a TOCH member.....your find him using private messages.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 20th June 2016, 08:58
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Peter has not visited in over a year or posted for over 2 years. I would suggest that his biography would give any answers rather than contacting him directly?
Old 20th June 2016, 09:45

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAficionado View Post
Books like "I flew for the Fuhrer", "The Blond Knight of Germany" and "A Higher Call" have been very useful
Do not take these three books as sacred texts (particulary the latest), they were critized one way or another, but for sure Heinz Knoke's book give a good glimpse of a fighter pilot's life in Defence of the Reich.
Old 21st June 2016, 10:28
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

I think that von Kirchmayr is still living.

Regards

Johannes
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:00

CaptainAficionado is on a distinguished road

I'm getting conflicting information about von Kirchmayr, some sources say he is still alive, but others say he passed away back in 1994.