Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th February 2019, 22:36

DaveM2
Re: Bf109 G-2 wk.nr. 14666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Wow, thanks Matti

Called Ozero Yavrozero which then should mean Lake Lakelake (if translated)

This is in the middle of nowhere and the nearest Luftwaffe airfield would have been Vuotso, a rather small and unknown field, and basically used (I think) as a forward temporary one (absprungplatze).

Dave
Can you confirm this is the correct lake where the aircraft was found?)

Cheers
Stig

"There was no mistake - 14658 near Urd-ozero, 14666 - on Yavr-ozero. Our 109 at Museum is from Yavr-ozero"
Old 21st February 2019, 12:12
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks

So what we got is a Bf 109G-2 WNr 14xxx lost on a transit flight from Alakurtti to Luostari (perhaps Petsamo/Petchenga?) force landing at Yavrozero for (so far) unproven reasons.
From Soviet reports the pilot was drunk, meaning he must have been captured. Also the route stated above must have come from some kind of interrogation.
I wonder what any Soviet troops were doing in that part of the country since as far as I can see there are no roads or anything useful leading to/from that lake.

I doubt neither German nor Soviet High Commands contemplated any offensive/counter offensive in such basically impossible area, so perhaps some small scouting force?

Since the lake is nowhere near the Kandalaksha area we can rule out WNr 14666 and Bauer was never captured, so the Russians cannot have known if he was intoxicated or not....BUT unfortunately the markings on the fuselage found on the wreck match his aircraft....
We can also rule out WNr 14658 since it has been found elsewhere.

Only checking 1943 I can find only four suspects, none which fits 100% the criteria so far stated. Trying to locate anything which is taken from German sources on Google maps takes an awful long time and I doubt anyone will be wiser anyway. Perhaps it was a new aircraft not even on strength with JG 5?

Cheers
Stig
Old 21st February 2019, 22:32

DaveM2

Stig

I don't think the being drunk story holds much water. I asked the Russian where he got the info from and he couldn't recall where he read it. I think the only possibility is that this reference came from some captured documents, possible obtained after the Luftwaffe bases were overrun.
Also I and the Russian think the reference to Kandalaksha is only there as the Germans didn't know the names of the lakes and had no other landmark to point to when documenting the vicinity of the pilot pickup. I think they could only reference Kandalaksha as there was nothing else - even if it was a long way off it was the closest recognizable location.

All speculation of course.

Dave
Old 21st February 2019, 23:26
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Yes Dave

If we can drop "being intoxicated" and "Kandalaksha area" plus being on a "transit flight" from Alakurtti to Luostari, then Bauer is very much a candidate again. So maybe it is his aircraft after all?

Cheers
Stig
Old 21st February 2019, 23:37

DaveM2

Indeed, unless someone cones up with an entry of some description from Luftwaffe sources of flight activity out of Alakurtti on that date, there isn't much else to go on.