Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th June 2019, 18:43

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
F/O Denzil Biggane DFC (60569)

F/O Denzil Biggane DFC was piloting Lancaster W4125 from 44 Sqn on the night of 21/22 December 1942. During a bombing raid against Munich his aircraft was damaged by Flak and then intercepted by an Me 110 just North west of Heilbronn where it was shot down.

I have details of the interception from one of the surviving crew who stated that he was visited the following day by a German night fighter pilot who claimed to have shot them down.

Firstly, does anyone have a photograph of Denzil Biggane or the crew, and secondly having checked the Nachtjagd War Diaries and several other sources, does anyone have any information as to who the night fighter pilot may have been?

many thanks,

David
Old 25th June 2019, 00:28

ghostwriter is on a distinguished road
Post Re: F/O Denzil Biggane DFC (60569)

hmh,
this didn't help:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=54193

regards
ghostwriter
Old 25th June 2019, 15:54

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F/O Denzil Biggane DFC (60569)

The original post helped identify the personal accounts from the two survivors, and a post war photograph of the grave following re-internment at Durnbach. I am extremely grateful to Alex Smart for his great help

However, it didn't help identify a source for a photograph of the Lancaster crew or possible identity the night fighter pilot/crew responsible! Hence the second posting.