Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th September 2009, 23:04
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough
Re: Fw 190D book

To Kennethklee,

Allthough I appreciate your comments on Bodenplatte, your last remark left me a little puzzled.....

What do you expect from an operational narrative of a Fw 190D-9 pilot compared to a Fw 190A-8 pilot? I don't see any difference. If I ask a D-9 pilot to tell the story of his (last) mission, he hardly tells anything about a D-9. He tells what happened. So, what are you looking for.....just curious!

John
Old 15th September 2009, 23:11

Maximowitz is on a distinguished road

I must admit I agree with you John. Although a much lauded aircraft, most of them were shot from the skies with little concern from the allied pilots doing the deed. What more is there to say?
Old 16th September 2009, 09:53

kennethklee
Confusion and explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Kambic View Post
My humble opinion:

I have the book and cannot rave about it, but for long-nose aficionados, it is good to have. It is a decent reference book and contains photographs I had not seen before. The text always doesn't flow well although maybe some of that is in translation.

A very fine read if you are looking for long nose action is 'Bodenplatte' book by Manhro and Putz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Manrho View Post
To Kennethklee,

Allthough I appreciate your comments on Bodenplatte, your last remark left me a little puzzled.....

What do you expect from an operational narrative of a Fw 190D-9 pilot compared to a Fw 190A-8 pilot? I don't see any difference. If I ask a D-9 pilot to tell the story of his (last) mission, he hardly tells anything about a D-9. He tells what happened. So, what are you looking for.....just curious!

John
John-

I can understand why my last note in this thread was confusing, for which I apologize. To try to clear some of the confusion, I originally started this thread because I am looking for a comprehensive book on the Fw 190D-series, particularly the lesser-known variant such as the Fw 190D-11/D-12/D-13. Tony Kambic (quoted above) contributed to the thread by suggesting Bodenplatte would be a good source of "long nose action". Before Tony posted his note, I certainly had not expected Bodenplatte to focus on the Fw 190D-9, but rather more broadly on history of the ill-fated operation and the Bodenplatte participants, which is why I originally bought your fine book. For reasons I also discussed earlier in this thread, I did not read your book until Tony had recommended it, 5-6 months after I bought it.

My last comments were in response to Tony Kambic's recommendation and consequently were tangential to the original theme of this thread. Tony's comments implied to me that Bodenplatte would contain significant commentary on the Fw 190D-9 in the context of Bodenplatte, and consequently I compared it to Axel Urbanke's Green Hearts First in Combat with the Dora 9, which is essentially an operational history of the Fw 190D-9 with the JG 54 gruppe that was absorbed into JG 26 in the last months of WWII.

Based on your comments, perhaps I should have reiterated the original purpose of the thread in my last note. I hope this note makes more sense than my last note did. If not, please let me know either publicly or via PM and I can elaborate further.

Thanks,
Kenneth
Old 18th September 2009, 03:56

Steven190 is on a distinguished road

The best FW190D-9 books are from Jerry Crandall, he has a vol 2 out for late d-9, D-11 and D-13.they are both outstanding works, well worth the money

http://www.eagle-editions.com/
Old 18th September 2009, 14:37
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven190 View Post
The best FW190D-9 books are from Jerry Crandall, he has a vol 2 out for late d-9, D-11 and D-13.they are both outstanding works, well worth the money

http://www.eagle-editions.com/
Volume II of Jerry's series is not out, but "coming soon".
Old 28th March 2017, 13:05

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

Dietmar Harmann's book for sure supplements two amazing Dora books (both in two volumes) from Japo & Eagle Editions. But on the other hand, even some less "great" books sometimes carry a photo or an info that is worth gold... so I wonder, can one have enough books about the type he loves?

On the side note, there were stories about 3rd volume from Japo and I wonder if with the unfortunate death of one of the authors this will ever become reality? I for sure would love to have it!