Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 2nd January 2012, 21:58

Faenor is on a distinguished road
Operation Torch 8-11 november 1942

Hi all,

Im looking for info about losses and claims during Operation Torch, specially about US Navy F4F Wildcats.

Thanks for any reply

Faenor
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:50
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: Operation Torch 8-11 november 1942

You can find a list of USN losses, with Bureau Number, Type, pilot and his fate, there:
http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/USN/LLNov42.htm

For a narrative of the battles, the old book "Fighters over Tunisia" by Shores and co is covering them well, the Casablanca air actions being described in pages 24 to 38. If you read French, there is also a book called "L'aviation de Vichy au combat" that describes these actions (and is mostly a French translation of the Shores text, with more pictures and some more text, giving for example the serials of the lost French aircraft, something Shores does not).

There is some data on the Ranger website: http://www.airgroup4.com/operation-torch.htm
And here some advertisement for thr following book, that covers your subject: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...SIN=157488722X
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:09
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Laurent, for that Amazon link. I've never heard of that book. It is a bit suspicious though when one "looks inside" the book, there are no chapter headings and the text looks a bit like, "there I was, upsidedown...." type history. Also, the cover artist did not know his stuff as all the F4Fs (to my knowledge) had yellow surrounds to their national insignia.

Hmmmm......
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:42
Alter Hase

CJE

Sorry.
"L'aviation de Vichy au combat" that describes these actions (and is mostly a French translation of the Shores text).

It was a team work. Chris Shores and his mates provided the Allied side and I wrote the French side of the action with more details in my books on "L'Aviation de Vichy au combat".

Chris
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:34

Hi all,

Laurent Rizzotti - thanks for the link and info about "Wildcats" Over Casablanca: U.S. Navy Fighters in Operation Torch, but agree with John Beaman - this will be memoirs of Lts. Wordell and Seiler, 1st published in 1943...

For "Fighters over Tunisia" from Mr. Chris Shores - I remember info, that he is preparing revied edition with new finding?

And "L'aviation de Vichy au combat" - this book have 1 big "mistake" , unfortunately I can not french

So then I use my other source:¨
B.Tilmann - Dauntles and Wildcat book
Osprey books:
Aircraft of the aces series no #003 - Wildcat aces of WW 2
Aircraft of the aces series no #086 - P-36 Hawk Aces of World War 2
Kagero book:
Curtiss Hawk H-75 in french service

Other info is welkome and thanks again for help

Faenor
Old 4th January 2012, 00:08

Mark E Horan is on a distinguished road
Re: Operation Torch 8-11 November 1942

FYI, the web link posted earlier contains only a partial list of aircraft lost - several of the aircrew listed were not flying the aircraft indicated, and at least two of the aircraft listed were not actually struck. There were also a considerable number if other aircraft actually lost that are not listed. It is, at best, a poor starting point.

My sources for the losses I have compiled come from the Carrier and Squadron Action Reports as well as the the Squadron War Diaries prior to, during, and after Torch, and the Aircraft. LantFleet files of aircraft movements.

My listing of lost. missing, and seriously damaged (for Major Overhaul) identifies 58 carrier aircraft (likely complete in number but lacking some details) and two BB/CA aircraft (hardly exghaustive as I stumbled on these - I never pulled the appropriate files to attempt to compile a complete list.)

My listing of aircrew casualties is complete.

If you would like information that I have, you can e-mail me at mhoran - at- snet.net

Mark
Old 4th January 2012, 01:35
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJE View Post
Sorry.
"L'aviation de Vichy au combat" that describes these actions (and is mostly a French translation of the Shores text).

It was a team work. Chris Shores and his mates provided the Allied side and I wrote the French side of the action with more details in my books on "L'Aviation de Vichy au combat".

Chris
Sorry, I knew that but was in a hurry and did not write what I wanted to say. I should have said that "L'aviation de Vichy" is the French version of the part of "Fighters over Tunisia" about Torch air battles, with more details about the French air force and losses.

Sorry again
Old 4th January 2012, 02:39

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo,

There is another work titled 'WILDCATS OVER CASABLANCA' (November 1942 - Operation Torch). This is a 40-page softback by John Lambert, 1992, Phalanx Publishing, ISBN: 0-9625860-4-8.

A very useful work, don't be deterred by the small size. It includes appendices of losses and claims. Probably the best work on the subject from the American side. Unless Mark publishes his findings of course, and I would expect them to be even more definitive, especially the losses. Mark appears to have used many primary sources not available or even known to most. I shudder just thinking about dealing with US archives !

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:31

To Mark E Horan - I sent the e-mail. Thanks for reply

to other - thinking about this book - your opinion?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...TF8&me=&seller=

Thank Faenor