Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th September 2009, 14:02

Douglas Jr.
Bombing of Pisa (Italy) on October 29th, 1944 ???

Hi,

I would like to know if a straffing or bombing attack was conducted by Luftwaffe at Pisa (Italy) on October 29, 1944.

Any information about the unit and strenght of this mission? Any information provided is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Douglas
Old 17th September 2009, 16:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bombing of Pisa (Italy) on October 29th, 1944 ???

The only offensive capability left to the Luftwaffe in Italy at the time was Nachtschlachtgruppe 9 (three Staffeln of Ju 87s) but there were no Luftwaffe operations that night that I know of.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:16

Douglas Jr.

Nick,

Thanks for your reply.
One more question: do you know what were the Luftwaffe ofensive operations conducted on that day, if any?

Douglas

Last edited by Douglas Jr.; 22nd September 2009 at 17:53.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:57
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Jr. View Post
Nick,

Thanks for your reply.
One more question: do you know what were the Luftwaffe ofensive operations conducted on that day, if any?

Douglas
If the Italian campaign is your thing you could do worse than read our book. However ... here's the "Own Ops" section of the Luftwaffe Italy sitrep at 2359 hours GMT on the 29th, plus another relevant message.

Where did you get the information that Pisa was bombed on this date?
Old 24th October 2009, 02:33

Douglas Jr.

Nick,

Sorry for my delay to answer you. In fact there is an audio file of Brazilian soldiers in Pisa that very day singing the national anthem. Some idiot add that they were singing under an enemy aerial attack (i.e., a bombing raid). Kind of late propaganda.

I was trying to confirm if there was such attack (although I doubt it since the beginning). If fact you can hear what seems to be two or three "waves" of planes passing through, but it sounds much more as a huge Allied four-engine bombers formation heading to the Reich than a bucnh of Focke-Wulfs or Stukas from the NSG 9.

Douglas.

Douglas