Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th June 2015, 19:48

markr
Operation Barbarossa 22.6.41 - KG 3 and KG 53

Good day, everyone!

Looking for KG 3 and KG 53 crews/aircraft that made first attacks on Soviet airfields (about 3 am, coinciding with beginning of Wehrmacht ground assault).

I understand that about 150 crews, from KG 2, KG 3 and KG 53 were selected to attack various airfields, in Kette strength, with fragmentation and incendiary bombs - in preparation for the main, larger air attacks to follow.

I did some searching of previous postings, but did not find anything.

Thanks in advance if any crew/aircraft information is available.

markr
Old 17th June 2015, 21:24

Tim O. is on a distinguished road
Re: Operation Barbarossa 22.6.41 - KG 3 and KG 53

Hi Markr

Not quite what you requested but I have the following two entries for 22nd June 1941 in a Flugbuch for a Radio Operator with KG54 (Totenkopf):

Pilot: Feldwebel Ernst Weible
Radio Operator: Feldwebel Alfred Schmittka
Rest of crew unknown

Flying out of Lublin.

1st Mission 'Bombing Kolki' in Ju88 B3+CK took off 03:05 and landed 05:05. Comment written: 'War against Russia. Kolki Fighter Airfield unit attack. 70 Rata destroyed.'

2nd Mission 'Low-level bombing Kolki' in Ju88 B3+BK took off 08:10 and landed 09:50. Comment written: 'Hit in left wing.'

I hope this gives you something useful.

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122
Old 18th June 2015, 14:14

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of Lublin was and still is an airfield Świdnik; it was this place I suppose?

mw
Old 18th June 2015, 14:50

This is intersting post but based on myth, for example on the North Soviet airfield were attacked by Me 110s of 5./ZG 26 a few minutes before 3.15 (at 2.55) over Alitus (Olita), the same was over airfield on the south like Czerniowce attacked by Stab, I i II/KG 27 with III/JG 77 i I(J)/LG 2 early in the morning

There was of course attacks done by very small formation 1, 2 or 3 planes and it was done by III/KG 51 (Ju 88 A-5 with 2 containers of 360 SD-2). These planes were specialy adopted for very low attack of 25-50 m high with small fragmetation bombs - SD-2.

So, the first air attacks on many Soviet's airfields were done by stronger formation then mentioned small force (1-3 planes). To small impact of air power attack with classic bombs to be useful against Soviets air regiments.

mw

PS
Tim, which was the Staffel of I/KG 54?
Old 18th June 2015, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirek Wawrzynski View Post
This is intersting post but based on myth, for example on the North Soviet airfield were attacked by Me 110s of 5./ZG 26 a few minutes before 3.15 (at 2.55) over Alitus (Olita), the same was over airfield on the south like Czerniowce attacked by Stab, I i II/KG 27 with III/JG 77 i I(J)/LG 2 early in the morning

There was of course attacks done by very small formation 1, 2 or 3 planes and it was done by III/KG 51 (Ju 88 A-5 with 2 containers of 360 SD-2). These planes were specialy adopted for very low attack of 25-50 m high with small fragmetation bombs - SD-2.

So, the first air attacks on many Soviet's airfields were done by stronger formation then mentioned small force (1-3 planes). To small impact of air power attack with classic bombs to be useful against Soviets air regiments.

mw

PS
Tim, which was the Staffel of I/KG 54?
At this time the two men mentioned (Weible and Schmittka) flew with 2. Staffel of KG 54. They then transferred into 5. Staffel/KG 54 in August 1941. They had only begun conversion to the Ju 88 in January 1941 after the Norwegian Campaign, where they flew in Ju 52s with KGzbV 106 dropping paratroopers over Narvik and delivering supplies. Prior to this they flew in Ju 52s against Poland with KGzbV 2 and took part in the bombing of Warsaw amongst other things. Pre-war Schmittka flew with Aufklärungsgruppe 122 so he was very experienced and met the criteria for those early missions against Russia. Schmittka paired up with Weible in April 1940 and they flew and transferred together until an horrific incident where two of their crew were killed and Weible was wounded in September 1942 when a Russian anti-aircraft shell exploded in the cockpit area. Schmittka helped get the crew back to German lines but broke down on landing and was taken off active duty. Weible went on to be awarded the RK but this was sadly posthumous as he went missing on a mission to London on 24th March 1944.

Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122
Old 19th June 2015, 12:18

Thanks
Kolki was an airfield of 89. IAP of 14. SAD (I-16s). There were not such huge losses done as mentioned by Germans. It was to big overclaiming of victories, 89. IAP sustained much less losses on the ground on 22.06.41. The unit was not destroyed.

mw

BTW

Quote:
"in Ju 52s against Poland with KGzbV 2 and took part in the bombing of Warsaw amongst other things".
Is there any info about thier mission/s over Warsaw in IX 39 (or on 25.09.39)?
Old 19th June 2015, 22:47

Hi Mirek

Schmittka's flugbuch shows three missions 'bombing Warsaw' on 25.9.39

Gollasch + Unteroffizier Schmittka Ju52 G6 + EF Bombing Warsaw
take-off Breslau 25.9.39 06:50 09:10 Landed Kaycin

Take-off Kaycin 25.9.39 11:17 12:37 Landed Kaycin

Take-off Kaycin 25.9.39 16:00 16:55 Landed Kaycin

Old 20th June 2015, 12:38

Thanks,

There were over Warsaw on 25.09.39 47 Ju 52s of IV/KG.z.b.V 2, they droped small incendantary bombs. 2 Ju 52 were shot down by A/A fire and lost. Interesting that Ju 52 had done 3 mission this day.

BTW, are there any information about bomb loads on the mission on 22.06.41 (in Ju 88) and 25.09.39 (in Ju 52)?

regards,
mw
Old 20th June 2015, 13:41

Hi Mirek

I have nothing for 1941 but a report from 2./KGzbV2 dated 28th Sept 1939 and held in the Bundesarchiv details 13 Ju 52 crews and states:

'The instruction to release was given by the pilot using the horn signal. The incendiary bombs themselves were thrown using a container attached to a wooden shaft, which had been made for this purpose by members of our own airfield operating company. For this purpose, three additional soldiers were assigned to each aircraft. Of the three-man crew: one threw the bombs, another armed them and the third loaded the implement. To this end all members of the squadron, the operations section and part of the Labour Service of the squadron was assigned to the task. Fulfilling the mission essentially depended on the speed of these people; because of the enemy defences it was essential to drop all 1200 bombs in the shortest possible time. This was achieved in an excellent way. In carrying out the attack brisk anti-aircraft activity was experienced. Polish fighters were not encountered.

Due to the difficulty in locating the target, it was not possible to hold together the squadron formation during the execution of the attack. Rather, it was necessary to go around again after the first flight over the city and throw off the rest of the bombs through individual holes in the clouds. Searching for the targets had been left to the separate flights and sometimes even individual pilots. In this the pilots demonstrated all prudence and independence.

The second attack was carried out on the same morning from Kachin. The approach was again performed from the northeast and on the whole the cloud cover was more dispersed than in the morning, so that the orientation was easier. On the other hand, dense clouds of smoke had enveloped the city and had formed over the centre of the capital as a result of the now numerous fires caused by the bombardment of the Stukas and bombers. In contrast, the north of the city was clear and allowed for perfect flying. The third attack had been ordered on the basis of observations from the previous results and the north of the city was the main target. An approach from the north was consequently planned and the attack directed only up to the railway line, which crosses the city from east to west. The last attack was directed high above the town centre itself. Even with that attack the Flak was still very active. Apparently the Poles possessed still more heavy Flak, which reached up to these heights.

A total of 28,610 incendiary bombs were dropped by the squadron on this day. There were no losses.'

Old 20th June 2015, 18:51

Thanks
it was the the fire storym on Warsaw on 25.09.1939, the hardest day for defence and citisens. Air attack during wholy day plus strong artillery fire too.

There were many casoulties and a lot of fire on the ground.
A/A city's defence was in this period very weak. This air attack foreced defenders to capitulate on 27.09.39.

Casultis rate: 5000-10 000 citisens killed in the one day (different estiamtes)

mw