Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th August 2018, 12:18
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Re: Halbstaffel 1.(F)/120 on 8 May 1945

Thank you all for your most valuable and interesting information.

1.(F)/120:
Based on the new findings regarding 1. and 2. Halbstaffel, does this imply that the information about how the Halbstaffel 1.(F)/120 was created is not correct (see http://www.ahs.no/forumv3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=144)? Basically he stated that it was originally called Teilkommando 1.(F)/22 and only later renamed to Halbstaffel 1.(F)/120. He claimed that the unit didn't have to do anything with 1.(F)/120, but was a completely different unit with the similar name used to confuse the RLM.

From the new information, it appears to me that there was no separate unit, but it was 1.(F)/120 just with two Halbstaffeln each of which at a different airfields.

Ju 88 4N+RH:
Karl, thank you very much for his most interesting account. I am 99% sure there was only one belly landed Ju 88 from 1.(F)/120 a that landed at Eschege. The US eyewitness report mentioned just one Ju 88 and photos of only 4N+RH have been found.

But the strange thing is that according to Hasenmüller's logbook, the aircraft was flown by Hasenmüller (and not by Torn) with a radio operator on board (not Zeissler). He indicated the aircraft's code 4N+RH and the landing location as Eschwege.

I first thought that maybe Torn and Zeissler flew with Hasenmüller, but since they reduced crews to just two to have more space for the evacuation mission, this seems unlikely. But the recollections of Torn are quite detailed so that I assume he was indeed there and landed at Eschwege. Was there a second Ju 88 of 1.(F)/120 at Eschwege that we don't know of yet? But what would be the odds that it too was shot at and made a belly landing like 4N+RH?

Roger

Old 13th August 2018, 13:26
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju55dk View Post
Yes the date is as mentioned.

" Hptm Erzberger from NAG 4 will take over NAG 8 as Gr Kdr?"

Yes and no. It say in German:
Mit der Warnehmung der Geschäfte der Gruppenkommandeur. He is acting GrpKdr, doing the job without beeing appointed permanently.

Yes I love the German language with it's long abreviations. I'm used to it in the danish army, having loads of NATO terms. No one outside the military have a clue about what these means;-)

Junker
Ha, ha Jörn

Certainly fooled me. Thanks for clearing that up. Almost like reading the US record cards....

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th August 2018, 13:45
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gaemperle View Post
Ju 88 4N+RH:
Karl, thank you very much for his most interesting account. I am 99% sure there was only one belly landed Ju 88 from 1.(F)/120 a that landed at Eschege. The US eyewitness report mentioned just one Ju 88 and photos of only 4N+RH have been found.

But the strange thing is that according to Hasenmüller's logbook, the aircraft was flown by Hasenmüller (and not by Torn) with a radio operator on board (not Zeissler). He indicated the aircraft's code 4N+RH and the landing location as Eschwege.

I first thought that maybe Torn and Zeissler flew with Hasenmüller, but since they reduced crews to just two to have more space for the evacuation mission, this seems unlikely. But the recollections of Torn are quite detailed so that I assume he was indeed there and landed at Eschwege. Was there a second Ju 88 of 1.(F)/120 at Eschwege that we don't know of yet? But what would be the odds that it too was shot at and made a belly landing like 4N+RH?
I just realized that Torn's report mentioned that his aircraft was damaged in Kurland and that they flew to Eschwege with another Ju 88. So, all fits then. They flew with Hasenmüller's Ju 88 4N+RH. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 13th August 2018, 16:20
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

Start of january 1945 1.(F)/22 was still in Norway. In march 45 it was in Umrüstung under Lf Reich to Ar 234. It had nothing at all to do with the matter discussed.

Movement out of Norway without aircraft. See attachement from KTB Gen. d. A.

Junker

Last edited by ju55dk; 23rd October 2020 at 17:24.
Old 13th August 2018, 17:26
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

The KG 26 history (Steenbeck) has on the 8th of May the loss of a Ju 88 of the Bel.St/KG26 (Beleuchterstaffel). The aircraft exploded shortly after take off from Vaernes from a height of 20m on a mission to Libau , with the crew of Ff Uffz Lieb (3 men) killed. Does this link to Schmidt and Grosser in Roger's Luftwaffe im Focus quote.
Old 9th November 2018, 11:15
Alter Hase

Thank you Brian. That may indeed be the one mentioned in the LiF article. However, LiF states that the III./KG 26 loss was a Ju 188, while apparently in Steenbeck's book it is stated that it was a Ju 88.

So, we have two crashed documented at Vaernes in the morning of 8 May 1945.
1.(F)/120: Crew of Fw. Schmidt and Ogefr. Grosser
III./KG 26: Crew of Uffz. Lieb (3 men)

Torn (1.(F)/120) described that the aircraft that started after them crashed. So, I assume it is more likely that it was a 1.(F)/120 aircraft as well. Is the take-off time of Uffz. Lieb III./KG 26 known?

In addition, http://www.nuav.net/ooblw.html indicates that on 10 May 1945 III./KG 26 had only Ju 188 at Vaernes. That doesn't automatically imply that the aircraft that crashed was a Ju 188 as well, but the likelihood is rather high.

Old 19th December 2018, 15:48
Alter Hase

Just found this interesting WP entry of a member of one of the Halbstaffel 1.(F)/120: