Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 22nd September 2011, 03:10
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Korea-Death of Sqdrn Ldeader Graham Hulse

On March 13th 1953, Sqd Ldr Graham S. Hulse was MIA in combat over the Yalu River with MIG-15, while flying on exchange with the 336 FIS, 4th FIW. He overshot his opponent and the stricken MIG-15 took a snap 37mm shot shooting off his left wing. Sqd Ldr Hulse supposedly bailed but still remains MIA.He was thought to have been a POW but never returned.

There was a remarkable set of gun photographs taken from his wingman,Major Sommerich who subsequently shot down the MIG-15. The MIG-15 is smoking heavily and looks like a sure victory.

The set of gun photographs is enclosed.

My question is who shot down Sqd Ldr. Hulse?

According to a WebSite on MIG-15 victories (from ACIG) , he was shot down by Lt Gregory Berelizde, 224 IAP, 32 AD. The 535th IAP also claimed two F-86 this day.

There is a mention of a MIG-15 pilot ejecting this day. He was Senior Lt. Hristoforov from the 913th IAP, Perhaps he was responsible for shooting down Sq Ldr Hulse as the MIG-15 in the photographs is in trouble and its very conceivable that the pilot would have ejected soon after

Last edited by kaki3152; 1st February 2012 at 03:18.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:43
Alter Hase

Re: Korea-Death of Sqdrn Ldeader Graham Hulse

For anyone interested, there is short article on SQL Hulse in the Sabre pilot website.Here's a link
http://sabre-pilots.org/classics/v171hulse.htm
Old 2nd October 2011, 16:18
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road

Hi,

The articles is a bit out on details. Hulse did not serve in the Battle of Britain, but did fly against the Luftwaffe on the Channel Front with 122 Sqn.

He served with 81 Squadron in the Meditteranean before it was posted to the Far East, and then with 93 Squadron in Italy, where he was shot down but evaded in 1944.

Commissioned he returned to action with 94 Squadron in late 1944, and then was transferred to 213 Squadron to fly Mustangs in the Balkan Air Force in 1945, ending the war as a Flight Lieutenant. He served in the Middle East post war before returning to Britain and training to fly jets.

Regards

Keith
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:52
Alter Hase

Keith, I knew the article was incorrect in the details on SL Hulse's career but figured it was worth while for his loss details
Old 3rd October 2011, 03:31
Alter Hase

I should add that there is a good biography of Graham Hulse in Shores "Those Other Eagles". In this biography, his 1/2 MIG-15 kill OF March 13,1953 is listed as " (c) 353 IAP", which is doubtful. The two Russian VVF units with F-86 kills on March 13,1953 were the 535th IAP and the 224th IAP. This may be a misprint for the 535th IAP. Both were members of the 32nd Air Division which also included the 913th IAP.
Old 29th November 2011, 01:45

Smithy is on a distinguished road

I was reading some information regarding Sqn Ldr Hulse's last flight which raised some questions for me.

There are reports that Hulse was spotted on the ground apparently unharmed however sadly he was never seen again. I was wondering whether any research into the fate of Hulse has ever been carried out. I realise that North Korea is a highly secretive nation but has anyone attempted to ascertain what perhaps happened to him?

The Korean War is not my main area of interest so apologies in advance if this has already been asked or if information pertaining to my question already exists.
Old 30th November 2011, 05:16
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello,
The "KORWALD Loss Incident Summary" has:
F86E, serial number 52-2879 of the 4th Ftr/Int Group, 336th Ftr/Int Squadron. Aircraft lost in circumstances where 4 F86's were attacked by some 16 Migs. The loss of the pilot was due to an unsuccessful bail out.
Alex
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:01

Smithy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that Alex.

I could have sworn that I had read somewhere that a rescue helicopter crew had reported seeing a downed blond pilot on the ground in the vicinity of where Hulse was shot down a day or so after the incident.

I was reading this a week or so ago and unfortunately can't remember where I saw this so might have my wires crossed.

Does evidence exist that Hulse was killed attempting to leave his Sabre?

Very tragic if he did survive the bale out only to perish on the ground in whatever circumstances.
Old 25th February 2012, 07:56

RCheung is on a distinguished road

FEAF General Order 171 (April 4, 1953) indicated that Hulse and Sommerich shared credit for a MiG-15 over Ch'olsan (철산/鐵山) at 1348H. That would be the time when Hulse was also shot down.

The action fought by the Soviet 32nd IAD was in the morning, much closer to the Yalu, almost right over their own airfield. They lost a MiG-15bis (Lt. N.A. Khristoforov ejected) from the 913rd IAP to a 336th FIS Sabre flown by 1st Lt. William F. Lloyd at 1055H near Sakchu (삭주군/朔州). (FEAF General Order 171).

Given the difference in time, and the fact both Soviet "Volunteers" who claimed kills (Senior Lt. G. N. Berelizde and Maj. Isakov) landed without damage ti their MiG's - it would be safe to conclude that they did not shoot down Hulse.

During the afternoon action, the Chinese "Volunteers" sent streams of MiG's from five divisions (along with a North Korean regiment) into "MiG Alley" to intercept U.S. fighter-bombers. They lost three MiG-15bis downed and two damaged, which matches the number of claims by the 4th FIW and 18th FBW.

The leader of the Chinese 36th Fighter Regiment, 12th Division was shot down and ejected near the Ch'ongch'on River (청천강 / 清川江). This is some distance to the east of Ch'olsan and not a likely candidate. This may be the one claimed by Col. Royal Baker 335th FIS near Tangmuk-tong at 1341H.

A possible candidate is the leader of the Chinese 43rd Fighter Regiment, 15th Division (Song, Ge-xiu 宋阁修). Song was shot down and killed but was also credited with shooting down a Sabre based on the report on his wingman.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:22
Alter Hase

Wow, thanks for tha information! Information on Red A/F Chinese losses and victories are hard to find.