Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th March 2011, 10:02

Bernard is on a distinguished road
Armour Hurricanes ?

Good morning to all,

On the 2nd of october 1939’s entry of No 43 Squadron ORB F540, one can read:
"F/O J.L.Sullivan took off with the four armour Hurricanes for France, he is to bring back unarmoured machines for our Command Reserve".
These Hurricanes were delivered to No 1 Squadron at Norrent-Fontes.
This entry brings me confusion, because I thought that (back seat) armour plating was adapted to Hurricanes thanks to S/Ldr Halahan after the combat wich took place on the 23rd of November 1939.
What should I understand by “armour Hurricanes” if this is not concerning back seat armour plating.
Many thanks.
Bernard.

Last edited by Bernard; 8th March 2011 at 10:06. Reason: MISTAKE
Old 8th March 2011, 10:56
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Armour Hurricanes ?

This is the back seat plating. It had been planned for production at some time prewar. The Halahan story about adding back armour from Battles to unarmoured Hurricanes in the field may well be true, as most Hurricanes at the time did lack armour. However, it is not the whole story and does not explain how quickly it became standardised.

This is one of many myths around about inspired invention from single junior personnel, where the truth is that the idea had already been adopted but was yet to filter down. Another is the rapid refit of fighters with constant-speed props in June 1940 - constant speed props had been in production since late 1939. The rapid conversion (which did take place) of DH propellors required forward planning and production, it was not something that could have been achieved "off the cuff" in a week.
Old 11th March 2011, 22:08

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
Re: Armour Hurricanes ?

I believe the FC hchief Downing was the man who got the armour for the Spitfire and Hurricanes in the early war period which saved more than a few lives including that of RS Tuck according to his book. i have heard that when "Stuffy" first proposed bullet proof windshields the rest of the RAF high ups laughed at him.